Boost and Intellisense

I'm developing a windows application using boost libraries.
Unfurtunately, some parameters of it are totally out of my control,
nor I have the leverage needed to change it. Namely,

- the application *must* use Visual C++ 9.0 runtime
- the IDE to be used is capped at Visual Studio 2013
- to avoid problems with other related projects, the boost release
should be 1.54.0  (here I have a modicum of liberty, as far as the
previous two conditions are
  satisfied)

I may live whit all of the above, however Intellisense has some
glitches that are annoying me. For one, it appears unable to recognize
the boost::asio::ip namespace. If I define a variable as, for instance

   boost::asio::ip::udp::endpoint ep;

Intellisense marks 'ip' in red and keeps saying that ep is undefined
(and consequently doesn't offer completion for its methods). I have
tried including directly boost/asio/ip/udp.hpp and also putting an
"using boost::asio::ip::udp" before the above definition as in

#include <boost/asio/ip/udp.hpp>

using boost::asio::ip::udp;

udp::endpoint ep;

but nothing changes (I'll gladly post a screenshot if I knew which is
the accepted way to post images to this list).

It should be noted that, aside from this and some analogous problems,
Intellisense works fine, making the above even more annoying. Does
anyone have a solution to this problem that do not violate the
aforementioned constraints?

Thanks in avance

lc

--
Leo Cacciari

Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt. Populi Romani est propria libertas.

Re: Boost and Intellisense

Boost - Users mailing list
On 15 May 2018 07:55 Leo Cacciari [mailto:[hidden email]] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm developing a windows application using boost libraries.
>Unfurtunately, some parameters of it are totally out of my control, nor I have the leverage needed to change it. Namely,

It works for me using VS2012 and boost 1.55 which is pretty close to your target restrictions.

Are the boost directories reachable / defined within the project?

Ie when you do

#include <boost/ ....

Does Intelli-sense start navigating through the boost hierarchy of includes for you?

If not then either working within a dummy project pathing in the boost headers or setting VC global environment as per https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2676417/how-do-include-paths-work-in-visual-studio might help.

Alex

Re: Boost and Intellisense

Boost - Users mailing list
On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 6:24 PM, Alex Perry via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 May 2018 07:55 Leo Cacciari [mailto:[hidden email]] wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm developing a windows application using boost libraries.
>>Unfurtunately, some parameters of it are totally out of my control, nor I have the leverage needed to change it. Namely,

> It works for me using VS2012 and boost 1.55 which is pretty close to your target restrictions.
>
> Are the boost directories reachable / defined within the project?
>
> Ie when you do
>
> #include <boost/ ....

Hi,
Yes it does. It even shows alternatives when I type boos::asio:: or
similar prefixes. However some alternatives that should be there
aren't. For one, the ip namespace under boost::asio. I even tried to
include directly boost/asio/ip/udp.hpp to no avail.

There are other alternatives missing, such as boost::asio::streambuf
(but it sees boost::asio::basic_streambuf so that I can write
asio::boost::basic_streambuf<> and make it happy at the cost of having
longer typedef).

It seems like Intellisense is unable to make sense of some boost
header files, not enough intelli? :-)

lc

--
Leo Cacciari

Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt. Populi Romani est propria libertas.

Re: Boost and Intellisense

Boost - Users mailing list
Intellisense gets confused sometimes. Try deleting all .vs folders under the solution folder. This will force it to rebuild the database.