Boost UUID Maintainer

Boost - Dev mailing list
Greetings!  I'm a long-time boost user and over the years I have posted
defects into boost trac for the components I have used.  I was reviewing
the backlog on boost::uuid and in trac and it needs a bit of grooming.  I
started submitting some PRs to resolve some of these.  Edward D. in the CMT
group was reviewing some of them and mentioned that there is no active
maintainer for the library, and invited me to introduce myself here.

I am currently a committer on the Apache Thrift project and I have 20+
years development experience with C++.  I have good experience at backlog
grooming, and I am very focused on quality.  I believe firmly in testing
all code branches, and using coverage tools to prove it.  I also assisted
the glibc team in getting started with Coverity Scan which helped lead to
resolution of 138 defects at last count.  My current position is a Software
Architect at HPE SimpliVity where I have been for the last ~7 years (I'm
easy to find on LinkedIn, hopefully).  I live in Westford, MA, USA.

Given there is no maintainer for boost::uuid currently, I would like to
petition for that responsibility.  It is a relatively small library in the
portfolio and seems like a good introduction to being a maintainer in such
a widely used project.

Thanks for your consideration,

Jim King

Re: Boost UUID Maintainer

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 8/4/2017 10:54 PM, James E. King, III via Boost wrote:

> Greetings!  I'm a long-time boost user and over the years I have posted
> defects into boost trac for the components I have used.  I was reviewing
> the backlog on boost::uuid and in trac and it needs a bit of grooming.  I
> started submitting some PRs to resolve some of these.  Edward D. in the CMT
> group was reviewing some of them and mentioned that there is no active
> maintainer for the library, and invited me to introduce myself here.
>
> I am currently a committer on the Apache Thrift project and I have 20+
> years development experience with C++.  I have good experience at backlog
> grooming, and I am very focused on quality.  I believe firmly in testing
> all code branches, and using coverage tools to prove it.  I also assisted
> the glibc team in getting started with Coverity Scan which helped lead to
> resolution of 138 defects at last count.  My current position is a Software
> Architect at HPE SimpliVity where I have been for the last ~7 years (I'm
> easy to find on LinkedIn, hopefully).  I live in Westford, MA, USA.
>
> Given there is no maintainer for boost::uuid currently, I would like to
> petition for that responsibility.  It is a relatively small library in the
> portfolio and seems like a good introduction to being a maintainer in such
> a widely used project.
>
> Thanks for your consideration,

I would like to back Jim King as the maintainer for uuid. We need
experienced programmers who are willing to maintain libraries where the
original developer or previous maintainer can no longer do so. Currently
uuid is part of CMT, but any lessening of the burden of the libraries
under CMT is always welcome.

> Jim King

Re: Boost UUID Maintainer

On 8/4/2017 10:54 PM, James E. King, III via Boost wrote:

> Greetings!  I'm a long-time boost user and over the years I have posted
> defects into boost trac for the components I have used.  I was reviewing
> the backlog on boost::uuid and in trac and it needs a bit of grooming.  I
> started submitting some PRs to resolve some of these.  Edward D. in the CMT
> group was reviewing some of them and mentioned that there is no active
> maintainer for the library, and invited me to introduce myself here.
>
> I am currently a committer on the Apache Thrift project and I have 20+
> years development experience with C++.  I have good experience at backlog
> grooming, and I am very focused on quality.  I believe firmly in testing
> all code branches, and using coverage tools to prove it.  I also assisted
> the glibc team in getting started with Coverity Scan which helped lead to
> resolution of 138 defects at last count.  My current position is a Software
> Architect at HPE SimpliVity where I have been for the last ~7 years (I'm
> easy to find on LinkedIn, hopefully).  I live in Westford, MA, USA.
>
> Given there is no maintainer for boost::uuid currently, I would like to
> petition for that responsibility.  It is a relatively small library in the
> portfolio and seems like a good introduction to being a maintainer in such
> a widely used project.
>
> Thanks for your consideration,

Would you please follow the instructions at
http://www.boost.org/community/official_library_maintainer_program.html
to become the maintainer of the Boost uuid library.

Thanks !

> Jim King

Re: Boost UUID Maintainer

Boost - Dev mailing list

On 8/7/17 17:44, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> On 8/4/2017 10:54 PM, James E. King, III via Boost wrote:
>> Greetings!  I'm a long-time boost user and over the years I have posted
>> defects into boost trac for the components I have used.  I was reviewing
>> the backlog on boost::uuid and in trac and it needs a bit of grooming.  I
>> started submitting some PRs to resolve some of these.  Edward D. in
>> the CMT
>> group was reviewing some of them and mentioned that there is no active
>> maintainer for the library, and invited me to introduce myself here.
>>
>> I am currently a committer on the Apache Thrift project and I have 20+
>> years development experience with C++.  I have good experience at backlog
>> grooming, and I am very focused on quality.  I believe firmly in testing
>> all code branches, and using coverage tools to prove it.  I also assisted
>> the glibc team in getting started with Coverity Scan which helped lead to
>> resolution of 138 defects at last count.  My current position is a
>> Software
>> Architect at HPE SimpliVity where I have been for the last ~7 years (I'm
>> easy to find on LinkedIn, hopefully).  I live in Westford, MA, USA.
>>
>> Given there is no maintainer for boost::uuid currently, I would like to
>> petition for that responsibility.  It is a relatively small library in
>> the
>> portfolio and seems like a good introduction to being a maintainer in
>> such
>> a widely used project.
>>
>> Thanks for your consideration,
>
> Would you please follow the instructions at
> http://www.boost.org/community/official_library_maintainer_program.html
> to become the maintainer of the Boost uuid library.
>
> Thanks !
>

>> Jim King

Hi Jim -

BLOM (that link above) is for companies/organizations wishing to
maintain libraries and receive some recognition in return.

Are you wanting to this as yourself or as part of HPE SimpliVity?

michael
--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting

Re: Boost UUID Maintainer

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 8/7/17 7:44 PM, Michael Caisse via Boost wrote:

> BLOM (that link above) is for companies/organizations wishing to
> maintain libraries and receive some recognition in return.

Actually, it's for anyone who wants to take responsibility for
for maintaining a library.  It doesn't need to be a company.
Persons/Companies might want to do this for any number of reasons.
They might use the library and make sure it continues to be maintained,
they might want to join the boost community in a tangible way, or
some other reason.  Through the BLOM Boost recognizes these efforts
because it's the right thing to do and hopefully conveys some benefit
to those who step up.

Robert Ramey

> Are you wanting to this as yourself or as part of HPE SimpliVity?
>
> michael

Re: Boost UUID Maintainer

Boost - Dev mailing list

On 8/7/17 20:20, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> On 8/7/17 7:44 PM, Michael Caisse via Boost wrote:
>

>> BLOM (that link above) is for companies/organizations wishing to
>> maintain libraries and receive some recognition in return.
>
> Actually, it's for anyone who wants to take responsibility for
> for maintaining a library.  It doesn't need to be a company.

Might I suggest you submit a PR for the web site:

"The purpose of the Boost Library Official Maintainer Program is to
recruit companies and organizations, that are likely already providing
internal support, to become official maintainers of those libraries
already important to them."

The wording on the page does not imply individuals.

michael

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting

Re: Boost UUID Maintainer

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 8/7/2017 11:28 PM, Michael Caisse via Boost wrote:

> On 8/7/17 20:20, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
>> On 8/7/17 7:44 PM, Michael Caisse via Boost wrote:
>>

>>> BLOM (that link above) is for companies/organizations wishing to
>>> maintain libraries and receive some recognition in return.
>>
>> Actually, it's for anyone who wants to take responsibility for
>> for maintaining a library.  It doesn't need to be a company.
>
> Might I suggest you submit a PR for the web site:
>
> "The purpose of the Boost Library Official Maintainer Program is to
> recruit companies and organizations, that are likely already providing
> internal support, to become official maintainers of those libraries
> already important to them."
>
> The wording on the page does not imply individuals.

If that is the case Boost needs to define the way in which interested
and talented individuals can become the maintainer for a library which
either has no active maintainer or is part of CMT. Because one of the
acknowledged shortcomings regarding Boost libraries is that a large
number of them have no active maintainer and the last thing Boost should
want to do is to discourage those who would like to be a maintainer of
such libraries.

> michael

Re: Boost UUID Maintainer

On 08/05/17 05:54, James E. King, III via Boost wrote:

> Greetings!  I'm a long-time boost user and over the years I have posted
> defects into boost trac for the components I have used.  I was reviewing
> the backlog on boost::uuid and in trac and it needs a bit of grooming.  I
> started submitting some PRs to resolve some of these.  Edward D. in the CMT
> group was reviewing some of them and mentioned that there is no active
> maintainer for the library, and invited me to introduce myself here.
>
> I am currently a committer on the Apache Thrift project and I have 20+
> years development experience with C++.  I have good experience at backlog
> grooming, and I am very focused on quality.  I believe firmly in testing
> all code branches, and using coverage tools to prove it.  I also assisted
> the glibc team in getting started with Coverity Scan which helped lead to
> resolution of 138 defects at last count.  My current position is a Software
> Architect at HPE SimpliVity where I have been for the last ~7 years (I'm
> easy to find on LinkedIn, hopefully).  I live in Westford, MA, USA.
>
> Given there is no maintainer for boost::uuid currently, I would like to
> petition for that responsibility.  It is a relatively small library in the
> portfolio and seems like a good introduction to being a maintainer in such
> a widely used project.
>
> Thanks for your consideration,

Formally, Andy Tompkins is the author and maintainer of Boost.UUID. I'm
including him in the loop.