Boost Spirit vs. Antlr

Yiqing
I need to build a large size parser for a query language in C++ similar to SQL. I have been looking at both Boost Spirit and Antlr in order to decide which parser generator tool to use.

The criteria for the tool that we are looking for is:

- can handle big size parser

- provide good AST support, as we need to walk through the AST to create our own expression tree after the parsing

- good performance

- with good debugging mechanism and error report

Can anyone with good insights for both products give me some input on what advantages that Spirit provides comparing to Antlr?

Thanks,

Yiqing Yang

Re: Boost Spirit vs. Antlr

Joel de Guzman
On 6/2/15 10:23 AM, Yiqing wrote:

> I need to build a large size parser for a query language in C++ similar to
> SQL. I have been looking at both Boost Spirit and Antlr in order to decide
> which parser generator tool to use.
>
> The criteria for the tool that we are looking for is:
>
> - can handle big size parser
>
> - provide good AST support, as we need to walk through the AST to create our
> own expression tree after the parsing
>
> - good performance
>
> - with good debugging mechanism and error report
>
> Can anyone with good insights for both products give me some input on what
> advantages that Spirit provides comparing to Antlr?

Last I read, Spirit beats Antlr in performance by a magnitude.
I can't give you the link though. It was along time ago, a post
in Boost devel or user. I'll try to search if I have time.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.ciere.com
http://boost-spirit.com
http://www.cycfi.com/