Boost.Spirit.Qi Grammar validation/visualization tools

Boost.Spirit.Qi Grammar validation/visualization tools

Jack Ennis
I am doing a trade-study of ‘parser generators’ and very (very) much like what I see in Boost.Spirit (direct C++ generics!). So, I'm willing to jump thru' a few flaming hoops to give it a go. On my checklist is a grammar (1) validation and (2) visualization tool.

The nature of the grammar source seems to preclude any general tool driven by BNF. What are the best practices to fill the gap for (1) and (2)? My worst-case so far: My grammar will be generally stable in the long-term. I could use the ANTLRWorks IDE against a Qi-compatible-constrained EBNF source, then (carefully) translate to Qi-compatible source. (I guess I could even build an ANTLR parser to do the conversion - have to ponder that one a bit.)

Re: Boost.Spirit.Qi Grammar validation/visualization tools

sehe
On 10/13/2015 03:35 PM, Jack Ennis wrote:
What are the best practices to fill the gap for (1) and (2)?
The best practice that spring to mind is to do the work.

And don't expect to be fluent with a framework you're still learning.

If you anticipate using ANTLR to generate the Qi sources (this would be _hard_ if you want to support "general purpose" (E)BNF) why not use ANTLR in the first place?

Seth