[Boost PP] MSVC PP

Boost - Dev mailing list
We seem to be getting there.

Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8 Preview 3 Announcement
<https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2018/06/26/visual-studio-2017-version-15-8-preview-3/>

tl:dr: "*C++ Standards:* A new, experimental, token-based preprocessor that
conforms to C++11 standards (including C99 preprocessor features), enabled
with /experimental:preprocessor switch. This will be controlled with macro _
*MSVC*_TRADITIONAL, which will be defined to 1 when using the traditional
preprocessor and 0 when using the new experimental standards conformant
preprocessor."

degski
--
*"If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*

Re: [Boost PP] MSVC PP

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 12:56 AM, degski via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We seem to be getting there.
>
> Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8 Preview 3 Announcement
> <https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2018/06/26/visual-studio-2017-version-15-8-preview-3/>
>
> tl:dr: "*C++ Standards:* A new, experimental, token-based preprocessor that
> conforms to C++11 standards (including C99 preprocessor features), enabled
> with /experimental:preprocessor switch. This will be controlled with macro _
> *MSVC*_TRADITIONAL, which will be defined to 1 when using the traditional
> preprocessor and 0 when using the new experimental standards conformant
> preprocessor."

Whoa!!! I never thought this would *actually* happen.

-Matt Calabrese

Re: [Boost PP] MSVC PP

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 6/27/2018 11:18 AM, Matt Calabrese via Boost wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 12:56 AM, degski via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We seem to be getting there.
>>
>> Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8 Preview 3 Announcement
>> <https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2018/06/26/visual-studio-2017-version-15-8-preview-3/>
>>
>> tl:dr: "*C++ Standards:* A new, experimental, token-based preprocessor that
>> conforms to C++11 standards (including C99 preprocessor features), enabled
>> with /experimental:preprocessor switch. This will be controlled with macro _
>> *MSVC*_TRADITIONAL, which will be defined to 1 when using the traditional
>> preprocessor and 0 when using the new experimental standards conformant
>> preprocessor."
>
> Whoa!!! I never thought this would *actually* happen.

It has only been 28 years total and 19 years since C99, so I think this
is way too soon for Microsoft. I think they should wait another 19 years
at least before they actually bring this "feature" to fruition. Can't be
too careful, you know !

> -Matt Calabrese

Re: [Boost PP] MSVC PP

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 6/27/2018 3:20 PM, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> On 6/27/2018 11:18 AM, Matt Calabrese via Boost wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 12:56 AM, degski via Boost
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We seem to be getting there.
>>>
>>> Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8 Preview 3 Announcement
>>> <https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2018/06/26/visual-studio-2017-version-15-8-preview-3/>
>>>

>>> tl:dr: "*C++ Standards:* A new, experimental, token-based
>>> preprocessor that
>>> conforms to C++11 standards (including C99 preprocessor features),
>>> enabled
>>> with /experimental:preprocessor switch. This will be controlled with
>>> macro _
>>> *MSVC*_TRADITIONAL, which will be defined to 1 when using the
>>> traditional
>>> preprocessor and 0 when using the new experimental standards conformant
>>> preprocessor."
>>
>> Whoa!!! I never thought this would *actually* happen.
I second...

> It has only been 28 years total and 19 years since C99, so I think this
> is way too soon for Microsoft. I think they should wait another 19 years
> at least before they actually bring this "feature" to fruition. Can't be
> too careful, you know !

So right... :)

>> -Matt Calabrese

Re: [Boost PP] MSVC PP

On 27 June 2018 at 23:20, Edward Diener via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It has only been 28 years total and 19 years since C99, so I think this is
> way too soon for Microsoft. I think they should wait another 19 years at
> least before they actually bring this "feature" to fruition. Can't be too
> careful, you know !

In my professional capacity I prescribe some Monty Python
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo> and copious amounts of
Kool-Aid.

degski
--
*"If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*