[Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

[Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi, I am a final year undergraduate student from IIT Khraragpur. I was
interested in the project “Image Processing Algorithms” to be developed
during GSoC 2020. I was mainly interested in implementation of
Morphological IP Algorithms, Normalising channels and De-noising filters. I
have a good knowledge about most of these algorithms and have worked with a
lot of them as a part of my BTech Term Project.

In addition to the list of algorithms provided for morphology, I had some
other filters which I think could be implemented easily such as - Boundary
Extraction, Hole Filling, Thinning and Thickening algorithms.

Similarly, for de-noising filters, I was wondering if filters such as
Conservative Smoothing, Adaptive Filters etc. could be added to the list.

For my competency test, I was interested in doing the implementation of
convolution filter and use it to detect edges. However, I did not
understand where should I be posting my submission for the same.

I have done my previous internship at Google India, where I implemented my
code in Google’s Production server in C++, thus I also have the experience
of writing good industry level code.

I wanted to know if someone would be willing to mentor me for this project.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards
Ayush Bansal
Fifth Year Undergraduate Student
IIT Kharagpur

Re: [Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:05, Ayush Bansal via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition to the list of algorithms provided for morphology, I had some
> other filters which I think could be implemented easily such as - Boundary
> Extraction, Hole Filling, Thinning and Thickening algorithms.
>
> Similarly, for de-noising filters, I was wondering if filters such as
> Conservative Smoothing, Adaptive Filters etc. could be added to the list.

Please, feel free to add those algorithms to the wish-list table on this wiki
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/wiki/Image-Processing-Algorithms

> For my competency test, I was interested in doing the implementation of
> convolution filter and use it to detect edges.

FYI, please watch
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
as the GIL competency test section may receive some updates during next days.

> However, I did not understand where should I be posting my submission for the same.

See the relevant section on the template page at
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-Submission-Template

Also, here is what the old Boost Wiki from previous years say, e.g.:
https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/SoC2015
"Submission of the programming test should be via copying and pasting
what you wrote
into the end of the proposal you submit to Google Melange."

Basically, you will be writing your GSoC project proposal to submit to Google
and that should include the competency test, e.g. copied relevant bits of code
or links to your GitHub repository with your competency test project.

> I wanted to know if someone would be willing to mentor me for this project.

Yes, as per the wiki
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
there are at least two people willing to mentor for GIL during GSoC 2020.
Keep in mind, it is still early - it's a good idea to check GSoC
timeline though.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:31, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:05, Ayush Bansal via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to know if someone would be willing to mentor me for this project.
>
> Yes, as per the wiki
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
> there are at least two people willing to mentor for GIL during GSoC 2020.
> Keep in mind, it is still early - it's a good idea to check GSoC
> timeline though.

I forgot to mention, please don't forget to subscribe to Boost.GIL mailing list
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-gil

Re: [Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:31, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:05, Ayush Bansal via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > However, I did not understand where should I be posting my submission for the same.
>
> See the relevant section on the template page at
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-Submission-Template
>
> Also, here is what the old Boost Wiki from previous years say, e.g.:
> https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/SoC2015
> "Submission of the programming test should be via copying and pasting
> what you wrote
> into the end of the proposal you submit to Google Melange."
>
> Basically, you will be writing your GSoC project proposal to submit to Google
> and that should include the competency test, e.g. copied relevant bits of code
> or links to your GitHub repository with your competency test project.

FYI, I have just proposed the Boost website update with the relevant details
https://github.com/boostorg/website/pull/468

Re: [Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

Thank you for your reply.
On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:01 PM Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:05, Ayush Bansal via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > In addition to the list of algorithms provided for morphology, I had some
> > other filters which I think could be implemented easily such as -
> Boundary
> > Extraction, Hole Filling, Thinning and Thickening algorithms.
> >
> > Similarly, for de-noising filters, I was wondering if filters such as
> > Conservative Smoothing, Adaptive Filters etc. could be added to the list.
>
> Please, feel free to add those algorithms to the wish-list table on this
> wiki
> https://github.com/boostorg/gil/wiki/Image-Processing-Algorithms

I have added them in the wish-list.

> > For my competency test, I was interested in doing the implementation of
> > convolution filter and use it to detect edges.
>
> FYI, please watch
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
> as the GIL competency test section may receive some updates during next
> days.

In order to get familiar with the GIL, I tried implementing a basic version
of Erosion and Dilation. It would be really great for me if you could take
a look at it and tell me if I could use it as part of my Competency test.
Any other suggestions are also welcomed.
https://github.com/ayushbansal07/GSOC_Boost/blob/master/morph.cpp

> > However, I did not understand where should I be posting my submission
> for the same.
>
> See the relevant section on the template page at
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-Submission-Template
>
> Also, here is what the old Boost Wiki from previous years say, e.g.:
> https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/SoC2015
> "Submission of the programming test should be via copying and pasting
> what you wrote
> into the end of the proposal you submit to Google Melange."
>
> Basically, you will be writing your GSoC project proposal to submit to
> Google
> and that should include the competency test, e.g. copied relevant bits of
> code
> or links to your GitHub repository with your competency test project.
>
> > I wanted to know if someone would be willing to mentor me for this
> project.
>
> Yes, as per the wiki
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
> there are at least two people willing to mentor for GIL during GSoC 2020.
> Keep in mind, it is still early - it's a good idea to check GSoC
> timeline though.
>
> Best regards,

Re: [Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 03:24, Ayush Bansal via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:01 PM Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:05, Ayush Bansal via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > For my competency test, I was interested in doing the implementation of
> > > convolution filter and use it to detect edges.
> >
> > FYI, please watch
> > https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
> > as the GIL competency test section may receive some updates during next
> > days.
>
> In order to get familiar with the GIL, I tried implementing a basic version
> of Erosion and Dilation. It would be really great for me if you could take
> a look at it and tell me if I could use it as part of my Competency test
> Any other suggestions are also welcomed.
> https://github.com/ayushbansal07/GSOC_Boost/blob/master/morph.cpp

Since your competency test solution aims to implement an algorithm
an actual feature with potential of being useful as part of the GIL,
then I'd suggest you to consider submitting it as a proper PR.

IMHO, PR efforts come with numerous benefits for GSoC candidates, e.g.:
- Makes you actively participate as part of the project community
- Teaches the actual real life development workflow
- Teaches workflows involving Git, GitHub
- Teaches iterative workflows of PR reviews
- Motivates you to aim for quality, e.g.:
     - compliance with contributor guidelines (makes you actually read them!)
     - necessity to work on tests (and, ideally, documentation)
- Presents your code as part of the big picture, if/how it integrates
  with the library and not as a random project written using random
  build system following random personal conventions and preferences
- Makes it easier for others to review your code
- Uses of common CI builds to verify your code
- Gives your efforts public visibility

Don't be shy about submitting a PR with an unfinished code,
a proof of concept,
a code that you have more questions than answers about,
a code that you have not tested using all toolsets/environments, etc.

Have a look at PRs submitted by students last year
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/pull/259
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/pull/258
If you read through the commentary you should get a basic
understanding of how things work :-)

Re: [Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

Boost - Dev mailing list
Yes, I am really interested in submitting a PR for the same.
Could please help me with how to get started?
I was planning to implement a file named morph.hpp in
boost/gil/image_processing module.
Also was there any previous discussion about implementation of dilation and
erosion
which I should keep in mind?
Also, what would be the most convenient mode of discussion for you in case
I have any further doubts?

Finally, Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. :)

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 10:16 PM Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 03:24, Ayush Bansal via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:01 PM Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

> of
> > >
> > > FYI, please watch
> > > https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
> > > as the GIL competency test section may receive some updates during next
> > > days.
> >
> > In order to get familiar with the GIL, I tried implementing a basic
> version
> > of Erosion and Dilation. It would be really great for me if you could
> take
> > a look at it and tell me if I could use it as part of my Competency test
> > Any other suggestions are also welcomed.
> > https://github.com/ayushbansal07/GSOC_Boost/blob/master/morph.cpp
>
> Since your competency test solution aims to implement an algorithm
> an actual feature with potential of being useful as part of the GIL,
> then I'd suggest you to consider submitting it as a proper PR.
>
> IMHO, PR efforts come with numerous benefits for GSoC candidates, e.g.:
> - Makes you actively participate as part of the project community
> - Teaches the actual real life development workflow
> - Teaches workflows involving Git, GitHub
> - Teaches iterative workflows of PR reviews
> - Motivates you to aim for quality, e.g.:
>      - compliance with contributor guidelines (makes you actually read
> them!)
>      - necessity to work on tests (and, ideally, documentation)
> - Presents your code as part of the big picture, if/how it integrates
>   with the library and not as a random project written using random
>   build system following random personal conventions and preferences
> - Makes it easier for others to review your code
> - Uses of common CI builds to verify your code
> - Gives your efforts public visibility
>
> Don't be shy about submitting a PR with an unfinished code,
> a proof of concept,
> a code that you have more questions than answers about,
> a code that you have not tested using all toolsets/environments, etc.
>
> Have a look at PRs submitted by students last year
> https://github.com/boostorg/gil/pull/259
> https://github.com/boostorg/gil/pull/258
> If you read through the commentary you should get a basic
> understanding of how things work :-)
>
> Best regards,

Re: [Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 at 20:42, Ayush Bansal via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I am really interested in submitting a PR for the same.
> Could please help me with how to get started?

I suggest quite the usual path into contributing to an open source project
1. https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/README.md
2. https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/CONTRIBUTING.md
    and any references from there.
3. https://blog.codinghorror.com/learn-to-read-the-source-luke/

There is collection of PRs and issues submitted during GSoC 2019,
all gathered as part of the IPA project here
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/projects/5
You may find it useful to check some of the PRs,
see how they were reviewed, etc.

> I was planning to implement a file named morph.hpp
> in boost/gil/image_processing module.

Sure, why not. If morph.hpp or morphing.hpp or other name,
that is part of discussion during PR review.

> Also was there any previous discussion about implementation of dilation and
> erosion which I should keep in mind?

I don't remember, but there are (searchable!) archives:

https://lists.boost.org/search/boost/cgi-bin/swish.cgi?query=dilation
https://lists.boost.org/search/boost/cgi-bin/swish.cgi?query=erosion
https://lists.boost.org/search/boost-gil/cgi-bin/swish.cgi?query=dilation
https://lists.boost.org/search/boost-gil/cgi-bin/swish.cgi?query=erosion

> Also, what would be the most convenient mode of discussion for you in case
> I have any further doubts?

Begin with the boost-gil mailing list. Check the README linked above
for options.
If we get stuck with C++ or other issues, we can always ask other Boost
developers for help posting to this mailing list (it is usually high
volume list,
so better post specific topics for boost-gil)

Re: [Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:31, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:05, Ayush Bansal via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > For my competency test, I was interested in doing the implementation of
> > convolution filter and use it to detect edges.
>
> FYI, please watch
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
> as the GIL competency test section may receive some updates during next days.

As mentioned earlier, I have just added bonus project to the GIL
competency test at
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2020

Re: [Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

Boost - Dev mailing list
I have implemented the erosion and dilation algorithms.
I have tried to follow all the instructions from the guidelines.
I wanted to know if you could have a look at it and tell me if it's ready
for a PR review?
My implementation can be found in this commit.
https://github.com/ayushbansal07/gil/commit/f9105e6f030a0cc4c806ebe4024f6895332dd6fb

Here, I implemented the
1. algorithms in file - include/boost/gil/image_processing/morph.hpp
2. an example in file - example/morph.cpp
3. Ran erosion and dilation on example/test_adaptive.png and saved the
output files in
    example/dilated_image.png and example/eroded_image.png
I also ran erosion and dilation using openCV on the above file and found
same effects on output file.

Please let me know of your thoughts.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 5:31 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:31, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 15:05, Ayush Bansal via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > For my competency test, I was interested in doing the implementation of
> > > convolution filter and use it to detect edges.
> >
> > FYI, please watch
> > https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
> > as the GIL competency test section may receive some updates during next
> days.
>
> As mentioned earlier, I have just added bonus project to the GIL
> competency test at
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2020
>
> Best regards,

Re: [Boost.GIL] GSoC 2020 Project 1 - Seeking Mentor

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, 1 Feb 2020, 13:56 Ayush Bansal via Boost, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have implemented the erosion and dilation algorithms.
> I have tried to follow all the instructions from the guidelines.
> I wanted to know if you could have a look at it and tell me if it's ready
> for a PR review?

It is ready for PR when you think it is ready.
If during review any GIL developer will think it is not yet ready, you'll
receive comment.
There's no need for pre-review before review. PR review usually is an
interative process.

I believe explained that in my previous email.

Mateusz Loskot, [hidden email]
(Sent from mobile, may suffer from top-posting)