[Boost][GIL][GSOC 2021] Contribute to the library

[Boost][GIL][GSOC 2021] Contribute to the library

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hello Everyone,
                        My name is Sayan Chaudhuri. I am a final
year,undergraduate student,in the Computer Science and Engineering
department of IEM,India . I am eager to participate in the GSOC 2021 and
willing to contribute to the Boost GIL library.
                         I have already gone through the wiki list of Boost
GIL listing the various image processing and computer vision algorithms
that have not been implemented yet. I have also gone through the
Contributing documents for BOOST GIL. . While going through the Boost
Mailing List Archives, I found that Igor Antropov had suggested to develop
ORB descriptor during his GSOC tenure but it has not been implemented yet..
I am therefore eager to develop the ORB descriptor for Boost GIL during
GSOC 2021. ORB is useful in many situations like object recognition and
structure for motion and also it is suitable for real time applications
unlike SIFT and SURF. I also found out that while using Boost , everytime I
need to see the output , I need to save the output in order to view
it,thereby unnecessarily wasting memory when I do not wish to save the
output.  So, the functionality of imshow() for OPENCV is missing for Boost
GIL. I am also eager to work on that functionality as well during GSOC
2021. Would therefore anyone is interested in mentoring me?
                         As my programming competency test for Boost GIL, I
have implemented the KMeans algorithm from scratch using Boost GIL and I
have raised a pull request- https://github.com/boostorg/gil/pull/587. I
would kindly request if someone can kindly review it. Also, I would like to
know whether there are any similar issues  that I can work on currently.

Re: [Boost][GIL][GSOC 2021] Contribute to the library

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 at 05:36, sayan chaudhuri via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>                         My name is Sayan Chaudhuri. I am a final
> year,undergraduate student,in the Computer Science and Engineering
> department of IEM,India . I am eager to participate in the GSOC 2021 and
> willing to contribute to the Boost GIL library.
>
>                          I have already gone through the wiki list of Boost
> GIL listing the various image processing and computer vision algorithms
> that have not been implemented yet. I have also gone through the
> Contributing documents for BOOST GIL.

A good start.

> While going through the Boost
> Mailing List Archives, I found that Igor Antropov had suggested to develop
> ORB descriptor during his GSOC tenure but it has not been implemented yet..
> I am therefore eager to develop the ORB descriptor for Boost GIL during
> GSOC 2021. ORB is useful in many situations like object recognition and
> structure for motion and also it is suitable for real time applications
> unlike SIFT and SURF.

You are free (and welcome) to propose a project that is not based on
the list of suggestions on the Wiki.
Have a look at this, feel free to add/pick algorithms of your interest
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/wiki/Image-Processing-Algorithms

> I also found out that while using Boost , everytime I
> need to see the output , I need to save the output in order to view
> it,thereby unnecessarily wasting memory when I do not wish to save the
> output.  So, the functionality of imshow() for OPENCV is missing for Boost
> GIL. I am also eager to work on that functionality as well during GSOC
> 2021.

The idea of minimal GUI/viewer hosted as part of GIL codebase
has been discussed several times - it is not a bad idea.
To me, the biggest issue is to implement it with zero or as little as
possible dependencies, without requiring a complex GUI framework.

It could be implemented practically dependency-less using native X11
or framebuffer (like fim, feh) for Unix and using Win32 API for Windows

By the way, if you are using Visual Studio, you may find this extension
useful, developed by our fellow in Boost, Adam Wulkiewicz:
https://github.com/awulkiew/graphical-debugging/

 > Would therefore anyone is interested in mentoring me?

This year, I'm not able to offer myself as a mentor.
I may be able to co-mentor though.

>                          As my programming competency test for Boost GIL, I
> have implemented the KMeans algorithm from scratch using Boost GIL and I
> have raised a pull request- https://github.com/boostorg/gil/pull/587

Thanks, it will be reviewed.

> I would kindly request if someone can kindly review it. Also, I would like to
> know whether there are any similar issues  that I can work on currently.

You will need to browse the issues and find yourself.

Re: [Boost][GIL][GSOC 2021] Contribute to the library

Hello Everyone,
                        I wish to convey my thanks to Matseuz Loskot and
Pranam Lashkari, maintainers of Boost GIL for taking out time to go through
my mail posting and also my pull request for KMeans Clustering. I have made
the changes as suggested by Pranam Lashkari by  replacing the .cpp file in
example folder with .hpp file in the image_processing folder. I would
request to kindly have a look at the submitted changes. Here is the link
for the pull request : https://github.com/boostorg/gil/pull/587.. I shall
soon be posting my project proposal in the mailing list.