[Boost][DoubleEnded] Status?

Boost - Dev mailing list
We had the review of this library proposal/addition quite a while back and
ever since I've been [eagerly] waiting for its official entry into Boost.

https://github.com/erenon/double_ended does not show any activity and there
is nothing in the Boost.Container going on either.

What is the status?

degski
--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*

Re: [Boost][DoubleEnded] Status?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 24/11/2018 7:55, degski via Boost wrote:
> We had the review of this library proposal/addition quite a while back and
> ever since I've been [eagerly] waiting for its official entry into Boost.
>
> https://github.com/erenon/double_ended does not show any activity and there
> is nothing in the Boost.Container going on either.
>
> What is the status?

There is no new activity. I haven't contacted with Benedek because I've
been too busy to try to properly merge it into Boost.Container. I hope
to find some time to resume some work in christmas holidays.

Nice to hear there is interest. Any preference on what container would
like to get first so that we can focus our efforts?

Ion

Re: [Boost][DoubleEnded] Status?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 at 13:28, Ion Gaztañaga via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Nice to hear there is interest. Any preference on what container would
> like to get first so that we can focus our efforts?

boost::container::devector would be what I am waiting for.

degski
--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*

Re: [Boost][DoubleEnded] Status?

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 7:55 AM degski via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We had the review of this library proposal/addition quite a while back and
> ever since I've been [eagerly] waiting for its official entry into Boost.
>
> https://github.com/erenon/double_ended does not show any activity and
> there
> is nothing in the Boost.Container going on either.
>
> What is the status?
>
> degski

Thanks for the interest!

As per the review verdict, the double ended classes should be part of
Boost.Container,
with the following major changes:
 - support of pre-C++11 compilers (e.g: move emulation)
 - integration with the Container util components and extras
 - integration with the Container test practices and documentation
 - removal of the built-in small buffer optimization (should be provided by
the allocator)

Judging by the review activity and results, my perception was,
that there isn't a great interest in these components
 - therefore I decided to focus my attention on different projects.
Of course, given the need, we can change that.

Do you have any particular devector feature you really want?

Thanks,
Benedek

Re: [Boost][DoubleEnded] Status?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 at 22:16, Benedek Thaler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Judging by the review activity and results, my perception was,
> that there isn't a great interest in these components

I had a different impression.

I thought it was quite a lively discussion and the interest increased as
the discussion went on (and a number of decisions got changed [on paper at
least]). As Boost local container guru Ion Gaztañaga was in on the
discussion, I think many just left the discussion develop and observe that
it was [mostly] going in the right direction.

To me devector seems very interesting as it's got great performance
characteristics in view of the functionality it provides. And just
anecdotally, plf::colony got boldly rejected [on the ML] for entry into
Boost, while it will be std::colony in C++20, so go reckon.

degski

On Sunday, November 25, 2018, degski wrote:

> while it will be std::colony in C++20, so go reckon.

No. We didn't accept Colony yet, and it is not in for C++20.

Glen

Re: [Boost][DoubleEnded] Status?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 at 16:29, Glen Fernandes <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> No. We didn't accept Colony yet, and it is not in for C++20.

Must have mis-read that then, or a bad source of info. Sorry for the noise.

degski
--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*