Boost Asio not built

Boost - Users mailing list
Hi All,

I have downloaded Boost 1.63 the second time. On my home computer, building it yielded all libraries. However, I do similar now at work, and it won't build Asio.

First I do
./bootstrap.sh --with-libraries=all

Then I build, but these are the results:
balazs@bamer-debian:/opt/boost-1.63$ ls stage/lib/ |grep asio|wc
      0       0       0
Although there are cpp files, that should be turned into a linbrary:
balazs@bamer-debian:/opt/boost-1.63$ find |grep asio |grep cpp$|wc
    214     214    9862

Asking bootstrap about what it would do shows it is not willing to build Asio:

balazs@bamer-debian:/opt/boost-1.63$ ./b2 --show-libraries
The following libraries require building:
    - atomic
    - chrono
    - container
    - context
    - coroutine
    - coroutine2
    - date_time
    - exception
    - fiber
    - filesystem
    - graph
    - graph_parallel
    - iostreams
    - locale
    - log
    - math
    - metaparse
    - mpi
    - program_options
    - python
    - random
    - regex
    - serialization
    - signals
    - system
    - test
    - thread
    - timer
    - type_erasure
    - wave

What should I do? Is there a dependency missing?

Thank you in advance. Best regards: Balazs

Re: Boost Asio not built

<[hidden email]>:
> Hi All,
>
> I have downloaded Boost 1.63 the second time. On my home computer, building
> it yielded all libraries. However, I do similar now at work, and it won't
> build Asio.

It's header only, AFAIK.
So it is nothing to build.

Re: Boost Asio not built

Boost - Users mailing list
That is incorrrect. Boost has binary libraries you link to statically or dynamically depending which parts of boost you use. _Most_ of boost is header only.

If you cannot get it to build yourself, it is also distributed as pre built binaries

and even easier, you can use NuGet to get boost as a nuget package.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 1:55 AM, Sergei Nikulov via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
<[hidden email]>:
> Hi All,
>
> I have downloaded Boost 1.63 the second time. On my home computer, building
> it yielded all libraries. However, I do similar now at work, and it won't
> build Asio.

It's header only, AFAIK.
So it is nothing to build.

Re: Boost Asio not built

Boost - Users mailing list
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Christopher Pisz via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That is incorrrect. Boost has binary libraries you link to statically or
> dynamically depending which parts of boost you use.

I'm not sure you can mix and match. You either link statically -OR-
you link dynamically. I could be wrong about that, it's been a little
while for me. And then, with caveats as to usage, licensing, support,
if memory serves.

> _Most_ of boost is
> header only.
>
> If you cannot get it to build yourself, it is also distributed as pre built
> binaries
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost-binaries/
>
> and even easier, you can use NuGet to get boost as a nuget package.
>

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 1:55 AM, Sergei Nikulov via Boost-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I have downloaded Boost 1.63 the second time. On my home computer,
>> > building
>> > it yielded all libraries. However, I do similar now at work, and it
>> > won't
>> > build Asio.
>> >

>> It's header only, AFAIK.
>> So it is nothing to build.

Re: Boost Asio not built

Christopher Pisz
Sorry, I was not trying to imply you mix and match, but link to all statically or dynamically. I can't fathom a scenario where you'd want to do some of one and some of the other.

You use the preprocessor directive BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK to dynamically link.

Re: Boost Asio not built

On 07.04.2017 14:03, Christopher Pisz via Boost-users wrote:
That is incorrrect. Boost has binary libraries you link to statically or dynamically depending which parts of boost you use. _Most_ of boost is header only.

If you cannot get it to build yourself, it is also distributed as pre built binaries

and even easier, you can use NuGet to get boost as a nuget package.

Boost.Asio is header only unless you don't want it to be. But you have to compile it as a part of your code. There's no precompiled asio library. This is from the Boost.Asio documentation:

By default, Boost.Asio is a header-only library. However, some developers may prefer to build Boost.Asio using separately compiled source code. To do this, add #include <boost/asio/impl/src.hpp> to one (and only one) source file in a program, then build the program with BOOST_ASIO_SEPARATE_COMPILATION defined in the project/compiler settings. Alternatively, BOOST_ASIO_DYN_LINK may be defined to build a separately-compiled Boost.Asio as part of a shared library.

If using Boost.Asio's SSL support, you will also need to add #include <boost/asio/ssl/impl/src.hpp>.

Cheers,
Leon

<[hidden email]>:
> Hi All,
>
> I have downloaded Boost 1.63 the second time. On my home computer, building
> it yielded all libraries. However, I do similar now at work, and it won't
> build Asio.

It's header only, AFAIK.
So it is nothing to build.

Re: Boost Asio not built

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Christopher Pisz via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry, I was not trying to imply you mix and match, but link to all
> statically or dynamically. I can't fathom a scenario where you'd want to do
> some of one and some of the other.
>
> You use the preprocessor directive BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK to dynamically link.

That wasn't clear, but thanks for clarifying.