Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Vladimir Prus-4

Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:

     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z

As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.

These packages were generated by the CI system that Rene has put together,
and one user-visible change is that the directory inside archive is
named after git commit hash. This will be changed for the final release.
Otherwise, these were smoke-tested on Windows and Linux, and should be
functionally identical to usual packages.

The SHA1 checksums are as follows:

b8314cff39908e6d6221bdad01ce1f1468546419 boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
cd916da1aa5ed812e538975171069506ecc4560c  boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
ca18da298d739ef70145b29e3bd2c8d903067075  boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
2fb4b8cf9112f59aa1c4b61f2ea0c66cbbe3ffd0 boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z

The SHA256 checksums are as follows:

3668b868d3f883327e2ff1324e09899cbb033087147d4dd268424a7729791f94 boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
e07784e9770193ff1e68cfe05c6fd08ca05913afedaedf1aca33f6da30d49b17  boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
2344369b6859ed151589286d05b38764a902884c10a4dac9c67b133c6c046130  boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
9ab80608c9ec70ec7afee25f2213f803ed3d15a71ade2c6ae184c48f33fd9d29 boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z

Thanks!

-- The release managers

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Marshall Clow-2
On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
>
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z
>
> As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
> the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
> both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.

Packaging: The .gz file expanded to
"boost_master_3a94cde635254f92fa87e0e11ef52d08684b8225", instead of
"boost_1_61_0_b1"

I successfully built the libraries with Apple's clang compiler. "Apple LLVM
version 7.0.2 (clang-700.1.81)"
with C++03, C++11, C++14, and c++1z

I was not successful building the libraries with clang ToT.
Boost.Python, in particular, had compile errors.
I don't know if this is a problem in Boost.Python, or in libc++.  (probably
libc++)
I will continue to investigate.
In any case, I don't think that this should hold up the beta release.

-- Marshall

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Marcel Raad
Vladimir Prus-4 wrote
Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:

     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z

As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.

These packages were generated by the CI system that Rene has put together,
and one user-visible change is that the directory inside archive is
named after git commit hash. This will be changed for the final release.
Otherwise, these were smoke-tested on Windows and Linux, and should be
functionally identical to usual packages.
The 7zip archive now has Unix line endings instead of Windows line endings.

Apart from that, everything looks good on Visual Studio 2013 and 2015, 32 and 64 bit, static libraries with static runtime. I built a few projects using Boost and ran their unit tests.

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Daniel James-3
On 19 March 2016 at 19:38, Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
>
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z

I've put the documentation on the website. It's linked from the release notes:

http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_61_0.html

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Tom Kent
On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
>
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z
>
> As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
> the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
> both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.
>
> These packages were generated by the CI system that Rene has put together,
> and one user-visible change is that the directory inside archive is
> named after git commit hash. This will be changed for the final release.
> Otherwise, these were smoke-tested on Windows and Linux, and should be
> functionally identical to usual packages.

I'd like to request that we roll a 1_61_0_b2 without this change. The
directory structure is a big part of what we need to verify and this throws
off the build system that I've had running.

Other than that, everything seems to work correctly:

toolset     arch    compile Link    Execute
msvc-8.0    32      X       X       X
msvc-8.0    64      X       X       X
msvc-9.0    32      X       X       X
msvc-9.0    64      X       X       X
msvc-10.0   32      X       X       X
msvc-10.0   64      X       X       X
msvc-11.0   32      X       X       X
msvc-11.0   64      X       X       X
msvc-12.0   32      X       X       X
msvc-12.0   64      X       X       X
msvc-14.0   32      X       X       X
msvc-14.0   64      X       X       X

Compile means that the b2 command completed without errors

Install means that the installers for the respective version were generated

Link means that visual studio was able to link a sample executable to a
library (libboost_thread-vcXXX-mt[-gd]-1_XX.lib) generated

Execute means that the linked program executed without errors.

Tom

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Tom Kent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
>>
>>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
>>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
>>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
>>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z
>>
>> As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
>> the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
>> both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.
>>
>> These packages were generated by the CI system that Rene has put together,
>> and one user-visible change is that the directory inside archive is
>> named after git commit hash. This will be changed for the final release.
>> Otherwise, these were smoke-tested on Windows and Linux, and should be
>> functionally identical to usual packages.
>

> I'd like to request that we roll a 1_61_0_b2 without this change. The
> directory structure is a big part of what we need to verify and this throws
> off the build system that I've had running.

I meant "rc2" not "b2".

On 20 March 2016 at 00:16, Daniel James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've put the documentation on the website. It's linked from the release notes:
>
> http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_61_0.html

I've compared the documentation build with my last build and found a
few issues (including one in my build). I don't think any are
important enough to delay the beta.

ASIO documentation is being built in the wrong place, which breaks a
few links. I build it using something like 'cd doc && b2 -q asio'.

Libraries which are in the combined documentation are being built
twice, once for the combined documentation and once as standalone, for
example:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_61_0_b1/doc/html/xpressive.html
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_61_0_b1/libs/xpressive/doc/html/

I've just manually maintained a list of documentation that need a
standalone build. The list is currently:

    geometry phoenix fusion spirit spirit/repository algorithm
    context coroutine coroutine2 numeric/odeint log tti
    functional/factory functional/forward range utility core
    convert test sort bind tuple python vmd compute hana

I guess the code added in doc/Jamfile.v2 could use that, instead of
globbing for all '*/doc' directories.

Some intermediate files are included. The way we've been doing it is
to build the documentation, then add the contents of the various
'html' directories to a zipfile, and extract that into a clean
checkout, so I've never kept a list of the unneeded files. Some
examples are:

doc/AutoDoxywarnings.log
doc/accumulators.tag
doc/dvips.version
doc/gs.version
libs/geometry/doc/doxy/ (everything in the directory).

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Mark Incley
Hi,

With Visual Studio 2015 update 1 on Windows 7, I get the following Boost.Python build error (I do not have Python installed on this particular machine)

compile-c-c++ bin.v2\libs\python\build\msvc-14.0\release\address-model-64\link-static\threading-mult
i\list.obj
list.cpp
.\boost/python/detail/wrap_python.hpp(50): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pyconfig.h'
: No such file or directory

Building again with "--without-python" fixes it but I've not had to do that before. The rest of Boost built fine.

Cheers
Mark.

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Rene Rivera-2
On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 5:35 AM, Tom Kent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
> >
> >     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
> >     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
> >     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
> >     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z
> >
> > As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
> > the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
> > both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.
> >
> > These packages were generated by the CI system that Rene has put
> together,
> > and one user-visible change is that the directory inside archive is
> > named after git commit hash. This will be changed for the final release.
> > Otherwise, these were smoke-tested on Windows and Linux, and should be
> > functionally identical to usual packages.
>

> I'd like to request that we roll a 1_61_0_b2 without this change. The
> directory structure is a big part of what we need to verify and this throws
> off the build system that I've had running.

Ah.. The directory structure is the same. Only the top level dir is
different. Could you be specific as to how it throws off your build?

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 4:02 PM, Marcel Raad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Vladimir Prus-4 wrote
> > Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
> >
> >      http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
> >      http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
> >      http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
> >      http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z
> >
> > As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
> > the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
> > both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.
> >
> > These packages were generated by the CI system that Rene has put
> together,
> > and one user-visible change is that the directory inside archive is
> > named after git commit hash. This will be changed for the final release.
> > Otherwise, these were smoke-tested on Windows and Linux, and should be
> > functionally identical to usual packages.
>
> The 7zip archive now has Unix line endings instead of Windows line endings.

Hmm.. I'll check that later today.. But in case you can answer faster than
I can check.. Are the EOLs also incorrect for the ZIP archive?

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Louis Dionne
Vladimir Prus <vladimir.prus <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
>
>      http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
>      http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
>      http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
>      http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z
>
> As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
> the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
> both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.
> [...]

I just realized that I forgot to bump the version macros in Hana.
Basically, I planned to move Hana into version 1.0.0 for its first
release in Boost, but I left it at 0.8.0. How can I fix this situation?
Would pushing the new changes to 'master' fix things?

I apologize for any trouble that could cause to the release process.

Louis

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Louis Dionne
Louis Dionne wrote
[...]

I just realized that I forgot to bump the version macros in Hana.
Basically, I planned to move Hana into version 1.0.0 for its first
release in Boost, but I left it at 0.8.0. How can I fix this situation?
Would pushing the new changes to 'master' fix things?

I apologize for any trouble that could cause to the release process.

Louis
For some reason, I did not see other people's messages on this thread
(the GMane interface seems to leave out a lot of messages), but that
would have addressed my question. I assume I must simply wait for
master to reopen for bugfixes?

Regards,
Louis

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Louis Dionne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Louis Dionne wrote
> > [...]
> >
> > I just realized that I forgot to bump the version macros in Hana.
> > Basically, I planned to move Hana into version 1.0.0 for its first
> > release in Boost, but I left it at 0.8.0. How can I fix this situation?
> > Would pushing the new changes to 'master' fix things?
> >
> > I apologize for any trouble that could cause to the release process.
> >
> > Louis
>
> For some reason, I did not see other people's messages on this thread
> (the GMane interface seems to leave out a lot of messages), but that
> would have addressed my question. I assume I must simply wait for
> master to reopen for bugfixes?

Correct.

-- Marshall

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Marshall Clow-2
On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Marshall Clow <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
>>
>>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
>>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
>>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
>>     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z
>>
>> As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
>> the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
>> both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.
>>

> Packaging: The .gz file expanded to
> "boost_master_3a94cde635254f92fa87e0e11ef52d08684b8225", instead of
> "boost_1_61_0_b1"
>
> I successfully built the libraries with Apple's clang compiler. "Apple
> LLVM version 7.0.2 (clang-700.1.81)"
> with C++03, C++11, C++14, and c++1z
>
> I was not successful building the libraries with clang ToT.
> Boost.Python, in particular, had compile errors.
> I don't know if this is a problem in Boost.Python, or in libc++.
>  (probably libc++)

Definitely a libc++ problem.

-- Marshall

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Marcel Raad
Rene Rivera-2 wrote

Yes, the zip archive also has Unix line endings.

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Rene Rivera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 5:35 AM, Tom Kent <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
> > >
> > >     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
> > >     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
> > >     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
> > >     http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z
> > >
> > > As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
> > > the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
> > > both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.
> > >
> > > These packages were generated by the CI system that Rene has put
> > together,
> > > and one user-visible change is that the directory inside archive is
> > > named after git commit hash. This will be changed for the final
> release.
> > > Otherwise, these were smoke-tested on Windows and Linux, and should be
> > > functionally identical to usual packages.
> >

> > I'd like to request that we roll a 1_61_0_b2 without this change. The
> > directory structure is a big part of what we need to verify and this
> throws
> > off the build system that I've had running.
> >

> Ah.. The directory structure is the same. Only the top level dir is
> different. Could you be specific as to how it throws off your build?

My build script looks for a directory in the pattern of the build version.

It isn't the end of the world, and I could write a work-around, but I think
it would be better to have the version in the directory name that it
extracts to. It might be good, however, to include the commit id in a text
file within the build though.

Tom

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Damian Vicino

> Release candidates for 1.61.0 beta 1 are now available:
>
>    http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.zip
>    http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.bz2
>    http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.tar.gz
>    http://boost.cowic.de/rc/boost_1_61_0_b1_rc1.7z
>
> As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
> the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
> both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.

I tested default build in “15.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version"

And got this results:

clang-darwin.link.dll bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/libboost_context.dylib
  "boost::thread_detail::enter_once_region(boost::once_flag&)", referenced from:
      boost::context::stack_traits::is_unbounded() in stack_traits.o
      boost::context::stack_traits::page_size() in stack_traits.o
      boost::context::stack_traits::default_size() in stack_traits.o
      boost::context::stack_traits::maximum_size() in stack_traits.o
  "boost::thread_detail::commit_once_region(boost::once_flag&)", referenced from:
      boost::context::stack_traits::is_unbounded() in stack_traits.o
      boost::context::stack_traits::page_size() in stack_traits.o
      boost::context::stack_traits::default_size() in stack_traits.o
      boost::context::stack_traits::maximum_size() in stack_traits.o
  "boost::system::system_category()", referenced from:
      __GLOBAL__sub_I_stack_traits.cpp in stack_traits.o
  "boost::system::generic_category()", referenced from:
      __GLOBAL__sub_I_stack_traits.cpp in stack_traits.o

    "clang++"   -o "bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/libboost_context.dylib" -single_module -dynamiclib -install_name "@rpath/libboost_context.dylib" "bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/asm/make_x86_64_sysv_macho_gas.o" "bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/asm/jump_x86_64_sysv_macho_gas.o" "bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/asm/ontop_x86_64_sysv_macho_gas.o" "bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/posix/stack_traits.o" "bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/execution_context.o"

...failed clang-darwin.link.dll bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/libboost_context.dylib...
...skipped <pstage/lib>libboost_context.dylib for lack of <pbin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi>libboost_context.dylib...
...skipped <pbin.v2/libs/coroutine/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi>libboost_coroutine.dylib for lack of <pbin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi>libboost_context.dylib...
...skipped <pstage/lib>libboost_coroutine.dylib for lack of <pbin.v2/libs/coroutine/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi>libboost_coroutine.dylib...
...failed updating 1 target...
...skipped 3 targets...

Re: Boost 1.61.0 Beta 1 Release Candidate 1

Oliver Kowalke-3
context/src/posix/stack_traits.cpp uses boost.thread if
BOOST_NO_CXX11_HDR_MUTEX is defined.
but the library seams no to be linked against boost.thread, e.g. what fails
is the check for cxx11_hdr_mutex in Jamfile

local cxx11_mutex = [
check-target-builds

      ../../config/checks//cxx11_hdr_mutex "C++11
mutex"
    :
    :
<library>/boost/thread//boost_thread

  ]
;

alias stack_traits_sources
    :
posix/stack_traits.cpp

    :

:

    :
$(cxx11_mutex)

    ;

> [...]

> "bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/execution_context.o"
>
> ...failed clang-darwin.link.dll
> bin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi/libboost_context.dylib...
> ...skipped <pstage/lib>libboost_context.dylib for lack of
> <pbin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi>libboost_context.dylib...
> ...skipped
> <pbin.v2/libs/coroutine/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi>libboost_coroutine.dylib
> for lack of
> <pbin.v2/libs/context/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi>libboost_context.dylib...
> ...skipped <pstage/lib>libboost_coroutine.dylib for lack of
> <pbin.v2/libs/coroutine/build/clang-darwin-4.2.1/release/threading-multi>libboost_coroutine.dylib...

maybe 'b2 --reconfigure toolset ....' does solve the issue