Boost 1.58 schedule available?

12

Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Barend Gehrels
Hi,

Boost 1.57 was released last November 3, so it is probably about the time to merge to master again?

Is there already a schedule available?

Thanks, Barend

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Rene Rivera-2
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 5:06 AM, Barend Gehrels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Boost 1.57 was released last November 3, so it is probably about the time
> to merge to master again?

Well.. You should merge to master when you think your libraries are ready
for release. This is something that is almost entirely under your control.

Is there already a schedule available?

Not yet.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Barend Gehrels
Hi Rene,

Rene Rivera schreef op 21-1-2015 om 16:19:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 5:06 AM, Barend Gehrels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Boost 1.57 was released last November 3, so it is probably about the time
>> to merge to master again?
>>
> Well.. You should merge to master when you think your libraries are ready
> for release. This is something that is almost entirely under your control.

Yes I know.

We are co-working with 5 people on our library, resulting in net more
than 2 full-time.
So we have to plan a moment on which all current tasks are finished and
we can safely merge it to master, before starting the next tasks in
develop or other branches.

To plan that moment, or possibly several of those moments, a schedule
certainly helps!

> Is there already a schedule available?
> Not yet.

OK, I hope there is one soon.

Thanks, Barend

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Olaf van der Spek-3
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Barend Gehrels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are co-working with 5 people on our library, resulting in net more than 2
> full-time.
> So we have to plan a moment on which all current tasks are finished and we
> can safely merge it to master, before starting the next tasks in develop or
> other branches.
>
> To plan that moment, or possibly several of those moments, a schedule
> certainly helps!

Shouldn't you do (big) tasks on branches and merge those when ready?

--
Olaf

Olaf van der Spek schreef op 21-1-2015 om 18:09:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Barend Gehrels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We are co-working with 5 people on our library, resulting in net more than 2
>> full-time.
>> So we have to plan a moment on which all current tasks are finished and we
>> can safely merge it to master, before starting the next tasks in develop or
>> other branches.
>>
>> To plan that moment, or possibly several of those moments, a schedule
>> certainly helps!
> Shouldn't you do (big) tasks on branches and merge those when ready?

Is it so weird to ask for a schedule?

It seems I'm the only one asking this for each release again and again,
we really need it.

Besides the merging, for which I still think can use a schedule, there
are also people using our library, asking when the new version is
available, and what's in it.

Based on the last version 1.57, of which a schedule was announced on
September 29, and which this was one of the dates:

* 13-Oct Last day for significant changes

and based on a 3-month scheme, we are already late.

Regards, Barend

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Barend Gehrels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it so weird to ask for a schedule?

Hi,

No, it's not.
And I've no idea why Boost is 'struggling' with the release schedule so often.

Olaf

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Robert Ramey
Barend Gehrels wrote
Is it so weird to ask for a schedule?

It seems I'm the only one asking this for each release again and again,
we really need it.
I'm guessing that your the only one because your the only one that needs this.

So the interesting question is: why doesn't anyone else seem to need this?

I don't need it because the boost serialization library master branch is always
in form ready to release (as far as I know).  That is,  it has less bugs and/or
more features than the previous version (again as far as I know).

Of course I can't say the same for the develop branch - that's why it's
the "develop" branch.  The boost git branching model has mostly solved
long standing problems that we've traditionally had in this area.  But it
pays to tweak one's development practices to take advantage of it.

Besides the merging, for which I still think can use a schedule, there
are also people using our library, asking when the new version is
available, and what's in it.
I believe that your best answer to this question is: "we expect feature
X merged into the release (master branch) on date X.  So any boost
release subsequent to date X will contain this feature"

If this is not soon enough for your purposes you have a couple of options
a) download/cloan the version in the release branch yourself.
b) ask the boost deployment team to schedule an official release
by date Y.

So this get's the monkey of your back.

If you've got 5 team members working on your library (congratulations!!!) then
I would suggest that you consider tweaking your development practices in the
following way.  ( I know this may sound pedantic and/or patronizing, but please
indulge me for the benefit of others) Each team member does the following:

a) start with modular boost download from git repo.  Set to master branch.
b) On your library - switch to development branch and make sure it builds/runs all tests with bjam
c) Create a local branch - if your name is george - you can call it george.
d) make your changes in the source code and re-run the tests
e) if your not satisfied with the new changes go to c) above
f) switch to the develop branch
g) merge in changes from branch george.
h) If your paranoid (as I am), you can re-run the boost build tests on the library.
i) Notify the team leader that you're going to push changes to the develop branch.
The team leader might ask you to hold back while some other issue on the develop
branch get's addressed.  But he shouldn't have to do this very often, if ever.
j) push your current develop branch to the git repo.
k) keep an eye on the develop branch tests.

The team leader can merge the develop to master (release) when he feels
that the library is in a state such that he feels comfortable unleashing it
upon the world.

Robert Ramey

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Barend Gehrels
Hi Robert,

Robert Ramey schreef op 21-1-2015 om 21:28:

> [...]
> e) if your not satisfied with the new changes go to c) above
> f) switch to the develop branch
> g) merge in changes from branch george.
> h) If your paranoid (as I am), you can re-run the boost build tests on the
> library.
> i) Notify the team leader that you're going to push changes to the develop
> branch.
> The team leader might ask you to hold back while some other issue on the
> develop
> branch get's addressed.  But he shouldn't have to do this very often, if
> ever.
> j) push your current develop branch to the git repo.
> k) keep an eye on the develop branch tests.
>
> The team leader can merge the develop to master (release) when he feels
> that the library is in a state such that he feels comfortable unleashing it

Thanks for your amusing answer. It is appreciated.

However, I'm still feeling a bit worried that as soon as I ask for a
schedule, which is really about time in a 3-months release cycle,
several people start to give me advices to change our way of working...

About the people asking for release dates, these are from large
organizations. They want official releases, not just a trunk or a clone
of a master. So that discards a). And b) is a very good idea, of which I
did not think before, but... imagine... I'm feeling bothered already to
ask for a schedule, will I then ask for an official Boost release by date Y?

About your proposed way of working - right, that is partly how we work.
But mostly we work in separate github spaces which are merged using pull
requests, the advantage is that a pull request can be reviewed quite
conveniently, as a package, before merging it. I can recommend that.

Regards, Barend

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Andrey Semashev-2
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM, Barend Gehrels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> However, I'm still feeling a bit worried that as soon as I ask for a schedule,
> which is really about time in a 3-months release cycle, several people
> start to give me advices to change our way of working...
>
> About the people asking for release dates, these are from large
> organizations. They want official releases, not just a trunk or a clone of a
> master.

Well, I guess that depends on the organization. Google, for instance,
is known for using various degree of bleeding edge in its products.

Anyway, there are no big companies behind Boost, so everything happens
here more or less when the stars align, be that for good or worse. I
don't mean to say you're wrong asking for a schedule (that'd be nice,
actually), but you have to take into account how things work in
practice. From that perspective adjusting your workflow might have its
merit.

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Peter Dimov-2
Barend Gehrels wrote:
> However, I'm still feeling a bit worried that as soon as I ask for a
> schedule, which is really about time in a 3-months release cycle, several
> people start to give me advices to change our way of working...

You should wait for an "official" answer from the release managers, I
suppose. They may need to discuss this among themselves first though.

Peter Dimov schreef op 21-1-2015 om 23:04:
> Barend Gehrels wrote:
>> However, I'm still feeling a bit worried that as soon as I ask for a
>> schedule, which is really about time in a 3-months release cycle,
>> several people start to give me advices to change our way of working...
>
> You should wait for an "official" answer from the release managers, I
> suppose. They may need to discuss this among themselves first though.

Sure, I understand that.

I was just answering the answers I got on my request. But for the rest I
patiently wait.

Regards, Barend

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Petr Machata
Barend Gehrels <[hidden email]> writes:

> Is it so weird to ask for a schedule?
>
> It seems I'm the only one asking this for each release again and
> again, we really need it.

FWIW, I'd like to know as well, as a downstream packager for Fedora
Linux.

It's now pretty clearly too late for 1.58, I'll be doing rebuilds of
client packages very likely next week, but three weeks ago when I was
planning the feature, it would have been nice to have a rough idea of
whether 1.58 might make it.

Thanks,
Petr

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Robert Ramey
Olaf van der Spek-3 wrote
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Barend Gehrels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it so weird to ask for a schedule?

Hi,

No, it's not.
And I've no idea why Boost is 'struggling' with the release schedule so often.
Hmmm - could be that it's a volunteer effort which and only be done when some
volunteer has the time to invest?

Maybe it's time for some new ideas? Perhaps we can create a "Release Sponsorship"
program whereby a company which really believes needs the updated "integrated"
release can sponsor it with a cash contribution.  The release would carry naming
rights so a company with name like "survey monkey" could call it the "monkey"
release with a link to it's website.  Bidding would start at $1000 with 50% going
into the Boost General fund and %50 going into the release manager's general
fund.

Certainly if having the newest integrated release isn't worth $1000 to any company
on the whole planet,  it's not worth a release manager's time to deal with all the
hassle making and distributing a new release.

Just a thought.

Robert Ramey

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Robert Ramey
Barend Gehrels wrote
Thanks for your amusing answer. It is appreciated.
Hmmm - I wasn't trying to be humorous - oh well.
About your proposed way of working - right, that is partly how we work.
OK - How about we create a release tomorrow at 5 PM then.  Would that
work for you?

Robert Ramey

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Robert Ramey
Olaf van der Spek-3 wrote
And I've no idea why Boost is 'struggling' with the release schedule so often.
You "struggling" make a release or "struggling" to do it so frequently?

Robert Ramey

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Robert Ramey
PS - I'm guessing that under this system, we'd have less trouble getting someone to volunteer for release manager.

Robert Ramey

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Barend Gehrels
Hi Robert,

Op 22 jan. 2015 om 00:31 heeft Robert Ramey <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> Barend Gehrels wrote
>> Thanks for your amusing answer. It is appreciated.
>
> Hmmm - I wasn't trying to be humorous - oh well.
>
>> About your proposed way of working - right, that is partly how we work.
>
> OK - How about we create a release tomorrow at 5 PM then.  Would that
> work for you?

Because you ask, I don't know how serious, I answer.

5 PM your time or my time?

Our matrix in develop is pretty green. So I can merge, though I prefer to wait a couple of days since there is bugfixing going on, each change has to be reflected in the regression matrix, which is only on develop/master and not on the separate branches.

To make it clear: I am not in a hurry, not at all. I just like to know a kind of schedule to be able to plan and communicate.

Regards, Barend

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

John Maddock-3
>> It seems I'm the only one asking this for each release again and again,
>> we really need it.
>
> I'm guessing that your the only one because your the only one that needs
> this.
>
> So the interesting question is: why doesn't anyone else seem to need this?

I would like this too - bad habit perhaps but I try to minimize merges
to release and do "one big release" rather than lots of small ones.  It
is also useful on multi-person projects (Boost.Math for example) to have
a target to aim for.

John.

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Antony Polukhin
<...>

> So the interesting question is: why doesn't anyone else seem to need this?
>>

> I would like this too - bad habit perhaps but I try to minimize merges to
> release and do "one big release" rather than lots of small ones.  It is
> also useful on multi-person projects (Boost.Math for example) to have a
> target to aim for.

+1 for having the updated schedule.

I need it because of the following:

MSVC-14 fails some of the Boost.Variant's variadic template tests. Having
the schedule will answer the question: is there a chance that MSVC
developers will fix the issues, or shall I disable variadic templates in
Boost.Variant for MSVC-14.

Antony Polukhin

Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?

Niall Douglas
On 22 Jan 2015 at 18:15, Antony Polukhin wrote:

> MSVC-14 fails some of the Boost.Variant's variadic template tests. Having
> the schedule will answer the question: is there a chance that MSVC
> developers will fix the issues, or shall I disable variadic templates in
> Boost.Variant for MSVC-14.

I believe VS2015 is closed to any such changes now as it's too late
in the RTM cycle. They may service pack fix it though, so I'd go
ahead and submit the bug anyway.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting