Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Boris Schäling
Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
Libraries" is now available in English: <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>

At this point I have to thank Andreas who started translating the 16
chapters of my book nearly a year ago and managed to finish this
tremendous amount of work after all that time. Without him there wouldn't
be a single sentence of my book available in English. Thank you, Andreas!
:-)

While you can simply click on <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/> and have
a look, here are some explanations in case someone is interested:

* The book is licensed under a Creative Commons License and can be copied,
distributed and transmitted for non-commercial use. As the part "for
non-commercial use" might raise some concerns: You are definitely allowed
to use the book at work (print it, hand it out to colleagues, publish it
on intranet web servers etc.). We also welcome trainers who want to use
the book in classes about the Boost C++ libraries (even if you are paid as
a trainer). There is no need to ask us for permission either. What we
don't want to see though is e.g. a commercial IT magazine simply filling
pages by printing the book.

* The book currently consists of 16 chapters. While there are some
chapters which present only one library, others introduce a couple of
libraries. I decided not to write one chapter per library because some
libraries are so small that it's all explained within a few paragraphs. If
you want to lookup libraries though you find direct links in the overview
at
<http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/introduction.html#introduction_overview>.

* There is a link "Found an error? Fix it in your browser!" below the
table of contents in every chapter (your browser must support Javascript
to display the link). If you click on the link the webpage becomes
editable. This makes it rather easy to fix typos or other mistakes.
Changes are saved on the server and will be reviewed (to protect against
spam).

* If you click on "Found an error? Fix it in your browser!" there is
another option called "Mark keywords". If you select this option you can
mark words (by clicking on them). The idea is to create an index by
marking those words which you think should be included in an index. As
it's quite a lot of work to create a good index we welcome proposals of
what to include.

* For those who know German there is still the original version of the
book at <http://www.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>. The content is the very same
(even same sample codes). We will also keep the books in sync (it's not
that the German version won't be updated anymore).

* You can download the HTML version of the book from
<http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/The%20Boost%20C++%20Libraries.zip>. The
ZIP file contains all the web pages and other resources you need to read
the book offline. For those who'd like to get a PDF or ePub version of the
book there are links to download them. You'll notice that the download of
those versions is not for free. The money is used to pay server costs and
to finance new chapters. We hope you agree that the prices are reasonable.

* If you purchase the ePub version of the book I am very interested in
your feedback. As the eBook market is still rather small it's difficult to
get the feedback you need to understand what to improve.

Given that there have been many discussions lately about what's wrong with
Boost, we hope that this book will give the Boost libraries and C++
another, well, boost. :-)

Boris

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Joel Falcou-3
Boris Schaeling wrote:
> Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
> Libraries" is now available in English: <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>

Good job :)

> * The book is licensed under a Creative Commons License and can be copied,
> distributed and transmitted for non-commercial use. As the part "for
> non-commercial use" might raise some concerns: You are definitely allowed
> to use the book at work (print it, hand it out to colleagues, publish it
> on intranet web servers etc.). We also welcome trainers who want to use
> the book in classes about the Boost C++ libraries (even if you are paid as
> a trainer). There is no need to ask us for permission either. What we
> don't want to see though is e.g. a commercial IT magazine simply filling
> pages by printing the book.

Time to update mien then :)
Any interest in a french translation ?

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Boris Schäling
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:43:05 +0300, Joel Falcou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Joel,

> [...]Any interest in a french translation ?

sure! The more readers the more it made sense to write all that stuff. :-)

Do I interpret your question correctly that it is you who wants to
translate about 200 A4 pages? :-) Looking back at the translation process
Andreas and I went through it's quite a lot of work?

Boris

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Rhys Ulerich-2
> Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
> Libraries" is now available in English: <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>

> ... For those who'd like to get a PDF or ePub version of the
> book there are links to download them. You'll notice that the download of
> those versions is not for free. The money is used to pay server costs and
> to finance new chapters. We hope you agree that the prices are reasonable.

Any chance you'd make a dead tree version available via Lulu [1] or some other
self-publishing outfit?  It'd be nice to be able to support you by
buying a print copy.

- Rhys

[1] http://www.lulu.com/

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Boris Schäling
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:00:20 +0300, Rhys Ulerich <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Hi Rhys,

> [...]Any chance you'd make a dead tree version available via Lulu [1] or
> some other
> self-publishing outfit?  It'd be nice to be able to support you by
> buying a print copy.

actually I talked to two publishers in Germany last year. While they
weren't interested in publishing (market too small; at least the German
one) it might be different with the English version now. I'll discuss this
with Andreas. Self-publishing might be another option indeed. In the
moment we are just happy that after a year the book is finally done. :-)

Boris

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Rene Rivera-2
Rhys Ulerich wrote:

>> Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
>> Libraries" is now available in English: <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>
>
>> ... For those who'd like to get a PDF or ePub version of the
>> book there are links to download them. You'll notice that the download of
>> those versions is not for free. The money is used to pay server costs and
>> to finance new chapters. We hope you agree that the prices are reasonable.
>
> Any chance you'd make a dead tree version available via Lulu [1] or some other
> self-publishing outfit?  It'd be nice to be able to support you by
> buying a print copy.

There's a link to buy an non-tree PDF, or ePud, version right at the
start of the book. You both get to support them and not kill trees :-)

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Boris Schaeling wrote:
> Do I interpret your question correctly that it is you who wants to
> translate about 200 A4 pages? :-) Looking back at the translation
> process Andreas and I went through it's quite a lot of work?
You do it right. Note that I didn't gave you a deadline ;)
We can sort out details in private mail if you want :)

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Mathias Gaunard-2
Boris Schaeling wrote:
> Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
> Libraries" is now available in English: <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>

Which version of boost is this based on?

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Boris Schäling
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:49:49 +0300, Mathias Gaunard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Boris Schaeling wrote:
>> Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
>> Libraries" is now available in English:
>> <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>
>
> Which version of boost is this based on?

The current one (all samples can be built with Boost 1.42.0). However some
chapters deserve already to be updated (e.g. the chapter about event
handling introduces Boost.Signals but not yet the thread-safe library
Boost.Signals2).

Boris

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Geoff Hilton
On 01/04/2010 8:57 AM, Boris Schaeling wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:49:49 +0300, Mathias Gaunard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Boris Schaeling wrote:
>>> Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
>>> Libraries" is now available in English:
>>> <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>
>>
>> Which version of boost is this based on?
>
> The current one (all samples can be built with Boost 1.42.0). However
> some chapters deserve already to be updated (e.g. the chapter about
> event handling introduces Boost.Signals but not yet the thread-safe
> library Boost.Signals2).
>
> Boris

I just tried fixing a typo in the source code of section 6.3
(Synchronization), it seems that you can't edit that though.
The typo was Summe (should be Sum in English). :)

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Robert Ramey
Geoff Hilton wrote:

> On 01/04/2010 8:57 AM, Boris Schaeling wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:49:49 +0300, Mathias Gaunard
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Which version of boost is this based on?
>>
>> The current one (all samples can be built with Boost 1.42.0). However
>> some chapters deserve already to be updated (e.g. the chapter about
>> event handling introduces Boost.Signals but not yet the thread-safe
>> library Boost.Signals2).
>>
>> Boris

I just read the chapter on serialization.

This is an extremely well written treatment.  I'm hugely impressed.  The
boost
website should include a link to this work.

Robert Ramey

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Lian Cheng
On 2010年04月01日 20:57, Boris Schaeling wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:49:49 +0300, Mathias Gaunard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Boris Schaeling wrote:
>>> Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
>>> Libraries" is now available in English:
>>> <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>
>>
>> Which version of boost is this based on?
>
> The current one (all samples can be built with Boost 1.42.0). However
> some chapters deserve already to be updated (e.g. the chapter about
> event handling introduces Boost.Signals but not yet the thread-safe
> library Boost.Signals2).

Just had a glance, great work!  But Chapter 12 Parser seems need some
upates.  All sample code snippets are written in Boost.Spirit 1.x, while
the version of Spirit in Boost 1.42.0 is already 2.1.  All the new
things, such as Spirit.Qi and Spirit.Karma, are not mentioned.  IMHO,
Spirit 2.x is much easy to use than Spirit 1.x :)

Cheers
Lian

> Boris

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Arindam Mukherjee
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Geoff Hilton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/04/2010 8:57 AM, Boris Schaeling wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:49:49 +0300, Mathias Gaunard
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Which version of boost is this based on?
>>
>> The current one (all samples can be built with Boost 1.42.0). However
>> some chapters deserve already to be updated (e.g. the chapter about
>> event handling introduces Boost.Signals but not yet the thread-safe
>> library Boost.Signals2).

Without intending to undermine this most useful book, I would like to
point out that some stylistic changes in the English version would go
a long way putting it in perfect shape for an English print edition.
In case you've taken note of this need, think it's important enough to
merit attention, would you need help in this regard? Would be glad to
help.

Cheers,
Arindam

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Enrique Nieloud-2
> Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
> Libraries" is now available in English: <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>

Is a pity that there is no hyperlink pointing to this book from the
official boost site.

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Giorgio Zoppi-2
It would be nice that this book will be a working in progress, that in
future could be printable.
Good work. I would extend the exercise stuff.
Cheers,
Giorgio.
--
Quiero ser el rayo de sol que cada día te despierta
para hacerte respirar y vivir en me.

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Ralf Globisch
Agreed, I found this book to be one of the most useful resources to learn how to use some of the boost libraries.
And it's certainly a lot easier to read than the documentation, which IMO still has a "high" entry level.

How would one go about getting it linked on the website? A book like this should really be promoted...
Thanks for the effort Boris, nice one!

>>> Enrique Nieloud <[hidden email]> 6/22/2010 5:23 PM >>>
> Andreas and I are pleased to announce that the book "The Boost C++
> Libraries" is now available in English: <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/>

Is a pity that there is no hyperlink pointing to this book from the
official boost site.

and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.

Re: Book "The Boost C++ Libraries" now in English

Vicente Botet
> [...]
>
> * You can download the HTML version of the book from
> <http://en.highscore.de/cpp/boost/The%20Boost%20C++%20Libraries.zip>. The
> ZIP file contains all the web pages and other resources you need to read
> the book offline. For those who'd like to get a PDF or ePub version of the
> book there are links to download them. You'll notice that the download of
> those versions is not for free. The money is used to pay server costs and
> to finance new chapters. We hope you agree that the prices are reasonable.
>
> * If you purchase the ePub version of the book I am very interested in
> your feedback. As the eBook market is still rather small it's difficult to
> get the feedback you need to understand what to improve.
>
> Given that there have been many discussions lately about what's wrong with
> Boost, we hope that this book will give the Boost libraries and C++

Hi,

I have added a link to your book on the References wiki page I have created some weeks ago.

See https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/References

HTH,
Vicente