Björn Karlsson's Boost Book

Merrill Cornish
Björn Karlsson has a book out titled "Beyond the C++ Standard Library:
An Introduction to Boost".  Is this book more than just a print out of the
existing Boost HTML documentation?

Merrill

Re: Björn Karlsson's Boost Book

Rush Manbert
Merrill Cornish wrote:
> Björn Karlsson has a book out titled "Beyond the C++ Standard Library:
> An Introduction to Boost".  Is this book more than just a print out of the
> existing Boost HTML documentation?

Yes. Much more. If you're a Boost hotshot already then it might not be
too useful, but I found it to be very helpful.

- Rush

Re: Björn Karlsson's Boost Book

John Maddock
> Björn Karlsson has a book out titled "Beyond the C++ Standard
> Library: An Introduction to Boost".  Is this book more than just a
> print out of the existing Boost HTML documentation?

Absolutely, actually it's a very good book IMO (and not just because I
proofread some of the chapters!).

Basically, it looks at a selection of core Boost libraries, and addresses
the following questions:

What is it?
What's it good for?
How does it make my code better and more robust?
When should I use this?
How do I use it?

So it's a bit like an extended tutorial, but it addresses the when and why
questions much better than I've seen anywhere else.

John.

RE: Björn Karlsson's Boost Book

Hughes, James
I agree. I have the book and it has been very useful (although I have not
used Boost in anger just yet as project is only just starting). He really
needs to do another book that covers the rest of the library!

James

John,

Thanks for the information.  I think I will get the book.

Merrill

Re: Björn Karlsson's Boost Book

Evan Carew

RE: Björn Karlsson's Boost Book

Björn Karlsson
Hello,

I just want to say thanks to all of you supporting my Boost book.

> From: James Hughes [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: RE: [Boost-users] Björn Karlsson's Boost Book
>
> I agree. I have the book and it has been very useful
> (although I have not
> used Boost in anger just yet as project is only just
> starting). He really
> needs to do another book that covers the rest of the library!

James,

Writing a book is a huge undertaking, and it's readers' testimonies of
usefulness that make it worthwhile. Thanks. Regarding another Boost book, I
do have a book on the STL algorithms to write first. After that, who
knows...

> > From: John Maddock [mailto:[hidden email]]
> >
> > Absolutely, actually it's a very good book IMO (and not just
> > because I proofread some of the chapters!).

John,

I believe that the fantastic help I received from you and other brilliant
Boosters was key in striking the balance between technical detail and
user-level topics. So, your proofreading definitely made the book much
better.

Cheers,
Bjorn