Beast for IMAP

Boost - Users mailing list
I've been thinking about writing some email utilities and have looked at
various IMAP libraries. I'm wondering if I should roll my own using Beast.
I've seen an SMTP library using Beast on GitHub. Has anyone else attempted
an IMAP client with Beast?

Re: Beast for IMAP

Boost - Users mailing list
SMTP build with HTTP library sounds very strange.
Beast is an HTTP 1.1 protocol library.
IMAP and SMTP are also protocols and have nothing related to their syntax with HTTP.

I had worked on the IMAP/SMTP app, and I think it is better to build with Asio only.

The only one related point between HTTP and  IMAP/SMTP, is if you need OAuth auth integration.

Regards,
Zhivko

On 2020-08-28 23:47, Kenneth Porter via Boost-users wrote:

> I've seen an SMTP library using Beast on GitHub.

can you provide the link please?

Re: Beast for IMAP

I maintain boost.beast.

If you need any guidance or help you can find me on the cpplang slack most days in the #beast channel.

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 at 01:48, Kenneth Porter via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been thinking about writing some email utilities and have looked at
various IMAP libraries. I'm wondering if I should roll my own using Beast.
I've seen an SMTP library using Beast on GitHub. Has anyone else attempted
an IMAP client with Beast?

Richard Hodges
office: +442032898513
home: +376841522
mobile: +376380212

Re: Beast for IMAP

On 8/28/2020 11:38 PM, niXman via Boost-users wrote:
> On 2020-08-28 23:47, Kenneth Porter via Boost-users wrote:
>
>> I've seen an SMTP library using Beast on GitHub.
>
> can you provide the link please?

https://github.com/Brdnl/mail

Re: Beast for IMAP

Boost - Users mailing list
On 2020-08-29 07:00, Kenneth Porter via Boost-users wrote:

> https://github.com/Brdnl/mail

ah, but it is not completed.

look at this: https://github.com/Brdnl/mail/issues

Re: Beast for IMAP

Boost - Users mailing list
It seems to use some helper classes from Beast, but not the protocol itself.
And that helper classes for example boost::beast::buffers_cat adds a little above asio::streambuf.

And IMAP complexity by itself is a "Beast" compared with SMTP.

Not from boost libraries, but have you look at these libraries if you need IMAP support.
https://github.com/dinhviethoa/libetpan
https://github.com/MailCore/mailcore2

As far as I know, most of the "modern" email apps which haven't used proprietary code are based on these libraries.

Regards,
Zhivko

On 2020-08-29 07:00, Kenneth Porter via Boost-users wrote:

> https://github.com/Brdnl/mail

ah, but it is not completed.

look at this: https://github.com/Brdnl/mail/issues

Re: Beast for IMAP

Kenneth Porter via Boost-users wrote:
> I've been thinking about writing some email utilities and have looked
> at various IMAP libraries. I'm wondering if I should roll my own using
> Beast. I've seen an SMTP library using Beast on GitHub. Has anyone
> else attempted an IMAP client with Beast?

I don't know if this helps. But if  a POP3 example could be a starting
point for IMAP, here is a working example. It just just asio, not beast.
<https://github.com/lakeweb/dmarc_client>
Best, Dan.

Re: Beast for IMAP

On 8/28/20 5:47 PM, Kenneth Porter via Boost-users wrote:
I've been thinking about writing some email utilities and have looked at various IMAP libraries. I'm wondering if I should roll my own using Beast. I've seen an SMTP library using Beast on GitHub. Has anyone else attempted an IMAP client with Beast?
Have you looked at vmime?  Could you contribute code there?  You may not then have so much to re-invent.  Maybe use asio as an additional platform?  https://github.com/kisli/vmime/tree/master/src/vmime/platforms

Re: Beast for IMAP

--On Saturday, August 29, 2020 11:27 AM +0300 Zhivko Vasilev via
Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And IMAP complexity by itself is a "Beast" compared with SMTP.
>
> Not from boost libraries, but have you look at these libraries if you need
> IMAP support.
> https://github.com/dinhviethoa/libetpan
> https://github.com/MailCore/mailcore2
>
> As far as I know, most of the "modern" email apps which haven't used
> proprietary code are based on these libraries.

Thanks. I'd seen those and also this one:

https://www.vmime.org/

I'm coming from using Mulberry and Thunderbird, which have their own IMAP
implementation, but neither of those look easy to extract as standalone
libraries.

In addition to the complexity of IMAP, there's the need for authentication
and encryption support, so there's a stack of additional libraries like
GnuTLS, cyrus-sasl, and openssl needed.

Some of these are hard to build on Windows. Fortunately the new Windows
Linux Subsystem allows one to run Linux-based GUI programs in a VM and
display on the Windows desktop. So I may go that route.