[Beast] Problems in getting started with Beast

[Beast] Problems in getting started with Beast

Boost - Users mailing list
Hello!

I'm migrating a project from libcurl to Beast. I'm trying to compile http_client_async.cpp, but 110 errors come from "file_win32.ipp" and "file_win32.hpp", mostly missing declarations and members. I'm using Visual Studio 2017 (warning level 4). Here is what I have done:

1. Downloaded and set up boost 1.65.1 according to the "getting started" tutorial
       - Built all binaries
       - Verified header only example and binary-dependent example
2. Downloaded beast/include/boost from GitHub and moved the folder and .hpp to
       - C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_65_1\boost
3. Started an empty project and pasted in the http_client_async.cpp example.

I have spent too many days trying to get this up and running. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Re: [Beast] Problems in getting started with Beast

Boost - Users mailing list
On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Sharklaser Lasershark via
Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm migrating a project from libcurl to Beast. I'm trying to compile
> http_client_async.cpp, but 110 errors come from "file_win32.ipp" and
> "file_win32.hpp", mostly missing declarations and members.

First of all apologies for the trouble. The reason you are having
errors is because the master/develop branches of Beast only work with
the latest master branch of Boost.Asio. This is because Beast is about
to be released in Boost 1.66.0, and Asio was recently updated. On the
bright side, Beast now uses the "Networking TS-flavored" Asio.

If you want to use Beast with Boost 1.65.1, you should use Beast
version 124 which is available as a tag in the Git repository:

<https://github.com/boostorg/beast/tree/v124>

Alternatively, you can clone the Boost superproject and use Beast that
way. You will be using the latest master branches of Boost, which
resemble closely that which will ship in 1.66.0.

Once again apologies, and this situation is only temporary until Boost
1.66.0 is released (then you can just use 1.66.0 which will have Asio
and Beast that work together).

Regards