[Astronomy] GSoC2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hello,
Earlier I was thinking of resting astronomy library for this GSoC and bring
it to its first formal review after some development on my own cause it has
been part of GSoC for 2 years now and still not reached to its first review
and there are still many pending things before its first review.

Since last month, I have started receiving many requests and ideas from the
students about this library and many students are taking initiative and
this may speed up the process of development.

I still would like to know the opinion of the community before including
this library in this GSoC.

Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari

Re: [Astronomy] GSoC2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 at 13:50, Pranam Lashkari via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Earlier I was thinking of resting astronomy library for this GSoC and bring
> it to its first formal review after some development on my own cause it has
> been part of GSoC for 2 years now and still not reached to its first review
> and there are still many pending things before its first review.

You may appreciate that, for some libraries, two years is/was not long enough
to release with Boost after the review and acceptance.

> Since last month, I have started receiving many requests and ideas from the
> students about this library and many students are taking initiative and
> this may speed up the process of development.
>
> I still would like to know the opinion of the community before including
> this library in this GSoC.

Although I'm neither current nor prospect user of Boost.Astronomy
- I just have been observing its activity on Gitter during the GSoC 2019 -
I think it's interesting and quite a unique library with potential to
attract users and contributors.

If there are no formal obstacles, I don't see any problem in GSoC-ing it
if it helps to push its development forward. Especially, seeing your
dedication to keep the development active.

Please, don't get discouraged.

Re: [Astronomy] GSoC2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
 >> I still would like to know the opinion of the community before including>> this library in this GSoC.
Seems like a good ide3a.

> If there are no formal obstacles, I don't see any problem in GSoC-ing it
> if it helps to push its development forward. Especially, seeing your
> dedication to keep the development active.

> Please, don't get discouraged.

I agree. GSoC-ing the project will only take a few minutesand it might potentially benefit both the Boost GSoC 2020application as well as the value and visibility of your lib.
As for not getting dicouraged, I can confirm the meritof that. Some of our GSoC 2013 work just made it fully
into Boost.Math recently. After our preliminary work,it took the expertise of other Boost experts and a bitof time to fully "ripen" the software and get into the flow.
It was very rewarding and I was thankful to the helpof the Bost experts who ultimately pushed that workinto shape for Boost. You might obtain similar long-termsuccess with your lib.
Kind regards, Chris