Asio, gcc and -fconcepts

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear all,

With the upcoming Boost 1.73 release imminent, I felt it was worthwhile
pointing out that latest gcc has a problem with Asio if the `-fconcepts`
command line flag is set.

There is an issue in the Boost.Asio repo here relating to the manifestation
of the bug in MSVC:

https://github.com/boostorg/asio/issues/312

and an issue here in the Boost.Beast repo:

https://github.com/boostorg/beast/issues/1884

It seems that the file boost/asio/detail/config.hpp was written when
concepts support was not widespread and still in the concepts.ts stage.

The syntax and capabilities of concepts were subtly changed during
standardisation, with gcc and MSVC only supporting the C++20 dialect.

Thus, compiling an Asio-based program with concepts enabled in either of
gcc or MSVC fails unconditionally.

I'm wondering if anyone has Chris' ear and might ask him to indulge us with
a fix prior to the 1.73 release.

I fear that by the time Boost 1.73 is in mainstream use, C++20 will be upon
us we'll see an increase in issues and a loss of reputation as a result.

Thanks for your time,

Sincerely,

--
Richard Hodges
[hidden email]

Re: Asio, gcc and -fconcepts

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 2020-04-06 20:01, Richard Hodges via Boost wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> With the upcoming Boost 1.73 release imminent, I felt it was worthwhile
> pointing out that latest gcc has a problem with Asio if the `-fconcepts`
> command line flag is set.
>
> There is an issue in the Boost.Asio repo here relating to the manifestation
> of the bug in MSVC:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/asio/issues/312
>
> and an issue here in the Boost.Beast repo:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/beast/issues/1884
>
> It seems that the file boost/asio/detail/config.hpp was written when
> concepts support was not widespread and still in the concepts.ts stage.
>
> The syntax and capabilities of concepts were subtly changed during
> standardisation, with gcc and MSVC only supporting the C++20 dialect.
>
> Thus, compiling an Asio-based program with concepts enabled in either of
> gcc or MSVC fails unconditionally.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has Chris' ear and might ask him to indulge us with
> a fix prior to the 1.73 release.
>
> I fear that by the time Boost 1.73 is in mainstream use, C++20 will be upon
> us we'll see an increase in issues and a loss of reputation as a result.

I think, your best bet is to report the problem to the upstream ASIO
project[1] and explicitly ask for a fix in Boost.ASIO ASAP.

[1]: https://github.com/chriskohlhoff/asio/

Re: Asio, gcc and -fconcepts

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 11:28 AM Andrey Semashev via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think, your best bet is to report the problem to the upstream ASIO
> project[1] and explicitly ask for a fix in Boost.ASIO ASAP.

This is exactly where I go to get things off my chest without the risk
of anyone seeing it.

Thanks

Re: Asio, gcc and -fconcepts

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 2020-04-06 21:30, Vinnie Falco wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 11:28 AM Andrey Semashev via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think, your best bet is to report the problem to the upstream ASIO
>> project[1] and explicitly ask for a fix in Boost.ASIO ASAP.
>
> This is exactly where I go to get things off my chest without the risk
> of anyone seeing it.

Chances of someone seeing it in Boost.ASIO issue tracker are even lower. :(

Re: Asio, gcc and -fconcepts

> I think, your best bet is to report the problem to the upstream ASIO
> project[1] and explicitly ask for a fix in Boost.ASIO ASAP.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/chriskohlhoff/asio/

Way ahead of you: https://github.com/chriskohlhoff/asio/issues/474

Richard Hodges
[hidden email]