Added black and white icons

peter foley-2

All,

I have taken the current front running icons and created black and white versions of the icons.  I have uploaded these to the wiki (http://tinyurl.com/24d2x5) let me know what you think.

I still have to work out what sort of icon to use for the Important Admonition.

Also I re-uploaded the Caution and Warning icons to put them into the same scale as the other icons.  So if you see these icons as larger please refresh/reload the page.

I will try getting around to updating the page to include our latest lot of discussions.

Thanks,

Peter.

[SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style and theme

peter foley-2

All,

I have added custom icon set 7 and 8 which includes an alternate to the note icon and two “important” admonition icons.  There is now at least one icon for each admonition.  Also there are both a colour icon and a black and white icon for each symbol (see Key Points below).

Key points overall for the icons:

1.            Each admonition background is:

                1.1 - A different shape (except for Note and Tip (see footnote 1 below)).  They are Circle x2, Square, Triangle and Hexagon.  This should provide a visual guide even for those who are (partially) colour blind;

                1.2 - A different colour (except for Note and Important (see footnote 2 below)).  They are Black, Blue, Black, Orange and Red.

2.            Each admonition foreground icon shape is visually different:

                2.1 -Note – is a light globe

                2.2 -Tip – is the letter “i”

                2.3 -Important – is the star/asterisk character

                2.4 -Caution – is an exclamation mark

                2.5 -Warning/Danger – is the word stop

A verbal visual description for each Admonition is as follows:

*             Note – “Black Circle” background with “light globe switched on” foreground

*             Tip – “Blue Circle” background with “white letter I” foreground

*             Important – “Black Square” background with “white star/asterisk character” foreground

*             Caution – “Orange Triangle Border” background with “black exclamation mark character” foreground

*             Warning/Danger – “Red Hexagon” background with “the white word stop” foreground

I have taken the liberty of updating the current consensus section (http://tinyurl.com/2k7mw7) to show my preference for the icons.  The only change from the last update is the different note icon (I changed it from Custom Icon Set 2 Tip to Custom Icon Set 7 Note (see footnote 1 for the rational of this switch)) and I have added both the colour and black and white versions for the Important Admonition icons.  I have updated this section for people to more easily view the overall proposed set.

I believe that besides a couple of minor visual tweaks (fixing up icon shadows, ensuring that the SVG files are scaled correctly, maybe slightly increasing the size of the letter “I” for the Tip admonition) these icons are ready for use!

I am hoping that the title of this post will encourage people to look at these icons and express what they like or dislike about them and potentially how to improve them.

As an aside is this something that should have a wider dissemination for people to express their views on (ie to the Boost Dev list) as these icons will be used in any Quickbook documentation that library authors create for their documentation or is a consensus on this list sufficient?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Peter.

Footnote 1 – I personally think that instead of using the light globe as shown as Custom Icon Set 2 Tip, we should use the Custom Icon set 7 Note icon.  This will ensure that we have a similar look and feel for all of the admonition icons (ie they each have a clear background shape associated with the icon and it will be easier for colour blind people to see the outline of the shape).

Footnote 2 – Although discussions on the list suggested that the colours for the Important, Caution and Warning/Danger admonitions be Yellow -> Orange -> Red I found that I could not get a Yellow icon that would look right on a page with a white background.  I have included one of the better yellow icons as the Important icon in Custom Icon set 7.

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style and theme

Cédric Venet

I would personally switch between the note and tip icon. In my experience the light globe is usually used to indiquate tips and tricks.

Just my 2 cents

--

Cédric Venet

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style and theme

Joel de Guzman-2
Cédric Venet wrote:
> I would personally switch between the note and tip icon. In my
> experience the light globe is usually used to indiquate tips and tricks.

I think I agree with Cédric. A quick google-image
search for "tip icon" gives you many light-bulb
hits:

     http://tinyurl.com/yudxnn

while "note icon" gives you many pencil-pad hits:

     http://tinyurl.com/2x8s2z

That is my preference, BTW, but the (i) is ok, and the first
thing that I think of is: i==information.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com
http://spirit.sf.net

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style and theme

John Maddock
Peter Foley wrote:
> Let me know what you think.

Well... I like them except for the "note" and the "important" icons which I
really don't like at all, sorry :-(

Actually, aren't the note and tip icons the wrong way around anyway?

Anyhow, from the tip column I do like the tango version, custom icon 2, or
custom icon 6.

For the "important" icon, I'm not that keen on any of the alternatives,
sorry :-(  Just a suggestion, but how about a right-pointing arrow?  Same as
the navigation right arrow, but a different colour (orange maybe)?

HTH, John.

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style and theme

pabristow

 I have added custom icon set 7 and 8 which includes an alternate to the note icon and two “important” admonition icons.  There is now at least one icon for each admonition.  Also there are both a colour icon and a black and white icon for each symbol (see Key Points below).

Key points overall for the icons:

1.            Each admonition background is:

                1.1 - A different shape (except for Note and Tip (see footnote 1 below)).  They are Circle x2, Square, Triangle and Hexagon.  This should provide a visual guide even for those who are (partially) colour blind;

                1.2 - A different colour (except for Note and Important (see footnote 2 below)).  They are Black, Blue, Black, Orange and Red.

2.            Each admonition foreground icon shape is visually different:   GOOD

[...]

I also agree strongly that tip and important are the wrong way round.  i means information == note for me.

And the light bulb means tip to me.  I like the tango or custom 2 MUCH more than the current choice one.

 I don't like Important icon at all. An arrow would be OK, perhaps the hand with finger? But I don't think we need an important icon really.

I believe that besides a couple of minor visual tweaks (fixing up icon shadows, ensuring that the SVG files are scaled correctly, maybe slightly increasing the size of the letter “I” for the Tip admonition) these icons are ready for use!

I am hoping that the title of this post will encourage people to look at these icons and express what they like or dislike about them and potentially how to improve them.

As an aside is this something that should have a wider dissemination for people to express their views on (ie to the Boost Dev list) as these icons will be used in any Quickbook documentation that library authors create for their documentation or is a consensus on this list sufficient?

I think we've discussed enough ;-)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Peter.

Footnote 1 – I personally think that instead of using the light globe as shown as Custom Icon Set 2 Tip, we should use the Custom Icon set 7 Note icon.  This will ensure that we have a similar look and feel for all of the admonition icons (ie they each have a clear background shape associated with the icon and it will be easier for colour blind people to see the outline of the shape).

I don't like it at all :-(

Footnote 2 – Although discussions on the list suggested that the colours for the Important, Caution and Warning/Danger admonitions be Yellow -> Orange -> Red I found that I could not get a Yellow icon that would look right on a page with a white background.  I have included one of the better yellow icons as the Important icon in Custom Icon set 7.

I'm fine with red - it is the international road sign colour.

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style andtheme

peter foley-2

Hi Cédric,

Thanks for the feedback.  From reading the other comments back so far it seems that people agree.  That the Tip and Note icons are potentially around the wrong way.

Peter.

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style andtheme

peter foley-2
Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback!

> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of John Maddock
>
> Peter Foley wrote:
> > Let me know what you think.
>
> Well... I like them except for the "note" and the "important" icons
> which I
> really don't like at all, sorry :-(

Thats ok =p, hence me asking for feedback.  Personally I was struggling
to come up with an idea for the important icon myself I think I trapped
my thinking by trying to have a different shape and colour for each
icon!

> Actually, aren't the note and tip icons the wrong way around anyway?

Your right.  I somehow flipped them around even though logically I
thought it was strange myself.

> Anyhow, from the tip column I do like the tango version, custom icon
2,
> or
> custom icon 6.
>
> For the "important" icon, I'm not that keen on any of the
alternatives,
> sorry :-(  Just a suggestion, but how about a right-pointing arrow?
> Same as
> the navigation right arrow, but a different colour (orange maybe)?

I agree with what you are saying I will send a separate email with my
thoughts on the above.

Thanks,

Peter.

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style andtheme

peter foley-2
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the feedback.

I will move the light globe icon into the Tip slot =p.

Thanks,

Peter.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback!

I am about to send out another email with other options taking into consideration what you, John, Joel and Cédric have said.

Thanks,

Peter.

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style and theme

peter foley-2

All,

The consensus seems to be that we:

*             Still need to find an appropriate important icon;

*             The light globe would be more suited for use as the Tip Admonition

                - Either the Tango light globe; or

                - Custom Icon set 2 Tip icon;

*             The other icons are fine.

As John and Joel suggested for the note icon maybe we could just use a plain Notepad and Pencil icon (either with a background like Custom Icon Set 6 Note or without).  This would mean we could potentially use the Blue Circle with the letter I for the important admonition.

What are people’s views on this?

Peter.

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style and theme

Jake Voytko
On 7/22/07, Peter Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As John and Joel suggested for the note icon maybe we could just use a plain
> Notepad and Pencil icon (either with a background like Custom Icon Set 6
> Note or without).  This would mean we could potentially use the Blue Circle
> with the letter I for the important admonition.
>

> What are people's views on this?

That seems like a good compromise to me. If that is the complete set,
I'd be happy with that. Good work :)

Jake

Jake Voytko wrote:

> On 7/22/07, Peter Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As John and Joel suggested for the note icon maybe we could just use a plain
>> Notepad and Pencil icon (either with a background like Custom Icon Set 6
>> Note or without).  This would mean we could potentially use the Blue Circle
>> with the letter I for the important admonition.
>>

>> What are people's views on this?
>
> That seems like a good compromise to me. If that is the complete set,
> I'd be happy with that. Good work :)

Yes, I think it's perfect.

pencil+pad == note
i == important information

Sounds good to me.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com
http://spirit.sf.net

Re: [SVG ICONs] Potentially final visual style andtheme

pabristow

And me FWIW.

Paul

---
Paul A Bristow
+44 1539561830 & SMS, Mobile +44 7714 330204 & SMS