ASIO SSL Memory Leaks

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hello y'all,

This is my first post to this listserv though I've been on others for ~30
years. I have a Boost question, ob duh.

Using the SSL_shutdown() outlined here:
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.0.2/man3/SSL_shutdown.html from within
Boost, there isn't an object to associate with this shutdown call.

Secondly, we have memory leaks (~10k bytes) using the SSL library via Boost
socket calls using the ASIO SSL streams. What am I missing? What advisement
can be offered?

Ideally, we want to call SSL_shutdown() from within Boost, though I am
missing something.

Best regards,
John

Aronetics.com
We Speak ITR
+1-216/307-5760

Re: ASIO SSL Memory Leaks

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 19:05, John A via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello y'all,
>
> This is my first post to this listserv though I've been on others for ~30
> years. I have a Boost question, ob duh.
>
> Using the SSL_shutdown() outlined here:
> https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.0.2/man3/SSL_shutdown.html from within
> Boost, there isn't an object to associate with this shutdown call.

Async version:
https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_74_0/doc/html/boost_asio/reference/ssl__stream/async_shutdown.html

Sync version:
https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_74_0/doc/html/boost_asio/reference/ssl__stream/shutdown.html

If you'd like to discuss in more detail, I am on cpplang slack, monitoring
the #beast channel. Boost.Beast depends heavily on Boost.Asio in which the
above two methods reside.

https://cppalliance.org/#links

> Secondly, we have memory leaks (~10k bytes) using the SSL library via Boost
> socket calls using the ASIO SSL streams. What am I missing? What advisement
> can be offered?
>
> Ideally, we want to call SSL_shutdown() from within Boost, though I am
> missing something.
>
> Best regards,
> John
>
> Aronetics.com
> We Speak ITR
> +1-216/307-5760

Richard Hodges
[hidden email]
office: +442032898513
home: +376841522
mobile: +376380212

Re: ASIO SSL Memory Leaks

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 10:05 AM John A via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Secondly, we have memory leaks (~10k bytes) using the SSL library via Boost
> socket calls using the ASIO SSL streams. What am I missing? What advisement
> can be offered?

What version of Boost and what version of OpenSSL?

Thanks

Re: ASIO SSL Memory Leaks

Boost - Dev mailing list
Vinnie,

Boost 1.69
OpenSSL 1.02k-fips

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 10:05 AM John A via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Secondly, we have memory leaks (~10k bytes) using the SSL library via
> Boost socket calls using the ASIO SSL streams. What am I missing? What
> advisement can be offered?

What version of Boost and what version of OpenSSL?

Thanks

Re: ASIO SSL Memory Leaks

Hi John,

Welcome to this mailing list!

Doesn't Asio call SSL_shutdown here:

https://github.com/chriskohlhoff/asio/blob/master/asio/include/asio/ssl/deta
il/impl/engine.ipp#L325

?

Regarding memory leaks - cold you please provide a minimal example
reproducing memory leak including the way you detect memory leak?

Could chriskohlhoff/asio GitHub issue #368
(https://github.com/chriskohlhoff/asio/issues/368) be your case?

Regards,
Marat Abrarov.