1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

> The most reliable way to get a copy of Boost is to download boost_1_67_0.7z or boost_1_67_0.zip and unpack it to install a complete Boost distribution.1

1.67?
Actually the best way is to use vcpkg if possible (IMO).

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_68_0/more/getting_started/windows.html

--
Olaf

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 12:28, Olaf van der Spek via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually the best way is to use vcpkg if possible (IMO).

Concur, stop your head-aches and use vcpkg, problem over.

degski
--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*
*“No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth" - Rudolph W. L. Giuliani*

On 08/28/18 12:45, degski via Boost wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 12:28, Olaf van der Spek via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Actually the best way is to use vcpkg if possible (IMO).
>
> Concur, stop your head-aches and use vcpkg, problem over.

AFAIK, vcpkg is MSVC-specific. Not all Windows users use MSVC.

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 13:14, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> AFAIK, vcpkg is MSVC-specific. Not all Windows users use MSVC.

Did you fact-check that assertion? The direction vcpkg is going, does not
stack up with your assertion, in general. Check the issues and you'll see
what I mean.

degski
--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*
*“No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth" - Rudolph W. L. Giuliani*

1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

IIRC It runs on windows, linux and mac. with msvc/clang, clang/gcc
and I don't know, which compilers are supported on mac.

I think usage with mingw on windows requires some manual configuration,
but as it is cmake based, I would be surprised if it didn't work.

Well, if there was an easy way to tell vcpkg, with which language
level to build boost with, I would agree, but it is definitively
good enough and much better than the binary distribution.

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 13:43, Mike Dev via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> ... and I don't know, which compilers are supported on mac.

From what I gather, clang is old on mac, they just give it a higher release
number, so it looks cool. They are on 9 or something like that (but it's 4
actually). Drink more apple-kool-aid and you will be ok (and please buy a
apple watch as well)!

I think usage with mingw on windows requires some manual configuration,
> but as it is cmake based, I would be surprised if it didn't work.

I think the idea is that all will go the cmake (as the only) way, but it is
not all like that at the moment, not yet.

Well, if there was an easy way to tell vcpkg, with which language
> level to build boost with, I would agree, but it is definitively
> good enough and much better than the binary distribution.

This problem has been signaled and recognized as a problem and I'm
confident in time (given the enthusiasm and relentless efforts of Robert S.
and Alex K., possibly not very long from now) will be addressed.

degski

On 08/28/18 13:18, degski wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 13:14, Andrey Semashev via Boost
>
>     AFAIK, vcpkg is MSVC-specific. Not all Windows users use MSVC.
>
> Did you fact-check that assertion?

Yes, Visual Studio is listed as a prerequisite here:

https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg

> The direction vcpkg is going, does
> not stack up with your assertion, in general. Check the issues and
> you'll see what I mean.

The direction is not the current state of affairs and you're suggesting
changing the current recommendadions.

I don't mind *adding* vcpkg as one possible way to install Boost. I just
want there to be options for people who don't use MSVC or vcpkg. The
most basic option is downloading sources and building Boost yourself. I
think, it should be preserved.

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 14:44, Andrey Semashev via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/28/18 13:18, degski wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 13:14, Andrey Semashev via Boost
> > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     AFAIK, vcpkg is MSVC-specific. Not all Windows users use MSVC.
> >
> > Did you fact-check that assertion?
>
> Yes, Visual Studio is listed as a prerequisite here:
>
> https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg

* Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 (on Windows)

The "On Windows" applies to both listed versions of VS, no just 2015 ;-)

On 08/28/18 15:50, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 14:44, Andrey Semashev via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/28/18 13:18, degski wrote:
>>> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 13:14, Andrey Semashev via Boost
>>>
>>>      AFAIK, vcpkg is MSVC-specific. Not all Windows users use MSVC.
>>>
>>> Did you fact-check that assertion?
>>
>> Yes, Visual Studio is listed as a prerequisite here:
>>
>> https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg
>
> * Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 (on Windows)
>
> The "On Windows" applies to both listed versions of VS, no just 2015 ;-)

Yes, so? Does this contradict what I said?

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 15:44, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The direction is not the current state of affairs and you're suggesting
> changing the current recommendadions.

No, I'm not, I'm just observing what's going on, i.e. commits, issues etc.,
not what's in the readme. Things are moving rather fast, one could qualify
it as 'break-neck-speed', certainly in the context of Boost. I did say this
[support for other OS'es] does not apply to all packages, but the trend
seems to be that that's where things are going. Nobody ever comments, ever,
after somebody reports an issue "it does not build on Ubuntu", "Please try
your luck elsewhere!" That's what I was referring to when I was saying,
"see for yourself".

I don't mind *adding* vcpkg as one possible way to install Boost. I just
> want there to be options for people who don't use MSVC or vcpkg. The
> most basic option is downloading sources and building Boost yourself. I
> think, it should be preserved.

Nobody asked you to add anything to whatever. Yes, I'm aware of the fact
not all people/corps use MSVC, painfully so. I thought, on the other hand
that, on the other side of the divide, this was a non-issue. I'm planning
on getting a taste for that myself, pending SSD delivery. I'll find out if
I was wrong or not.

degski
--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*
*“No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth" - Rudolph W. L. Giuliani*

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Andrey Semashev via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't mind *adding* vcpkg as one possible way to install Boost. I just
> want there to be options for people who don't use MSVC or vcpkg.

Of course

> The most
> basic option is downloading sources and building Boost yourself.

Basic as in simplest?

--
Olaf

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 15:12, Andrey Semashev via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/28/18 15:50, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 14:44, Andrey Semashev via Boost
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Yes, Visual Studio is listed as a prerequisite here:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg
> >
> > * Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 (on Windows)
> >
> > The "On Windows" applies to both listed versions of VS, no just 2015 ;-)
>
> Yes, so? Does this contradict what I said?

It invalidates "vcpkg is MSVC-specific", at least.

On 08/28/18 16:27, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 15:12, Andrey Semashev via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 08/28/18 15:50, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:

>>> * Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 (on Windows)
>>>
>>> The "On Windows" applies to both listed versions of VS, no just 2015 ;-)
>>
>> Yes, so? Does this contradict what I said?
>
> It invalidates "vcpkg is MSVC-specific", at least.

In what way? Unless the readme is wrong, MSVC is required on Windows.

On 08/28/18 16:24, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Andrey Semashev via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The most
>> basic option is downloading sources and building Boost yourself.
>
> Basic as in simplest?

Some people don't consider building Boost very simple. :) So I'll stay
with "basic" in the sense it imposes the least requirements to the
environment.

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 16:32, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... MSVC is required on Windows.

This is not what you asserted before. Point is, vcpkg is moving full speed
to cmake only, which simply means it works on nix (and possibly osx) as
well.

A project is in the making which will allow to use clang/llvm as a
tool-chain (instead of MSVC) as well, but yes, it is in-flight. gcc is
probably a bridge too far.

degski
--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*
*“No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth" - Rudolph W. L. Giuliani*

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 15:32, Andrey Semashev via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/28/18 16:27, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 15:12, Andrey Semashev via Boost
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Yes, so? Does this contradict what I said?
> >
> > It invalidates "vcpkg is MSVC-specific", at least.
>
> In what way? Unless the readme is wrong, MSVC is required on Windows.

Andrey,

I ripped the "vcpkg is MSVC-specific" out of its original context.
My bad, I take that back.
Accept my appologies, please.

To my knowledge, on Windows, vcpkg does not officially support
anything but MSVS/VC
There have been some initial bits and bobs for MinGW/MSYS added though
https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg/blob/master/scripts/cmake/vcpkg_acquire_msys.cmake

On 08/28/18 16:38, degski via Boost wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 16:32, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ... MSVC is required on Windows.
>
> This is not what you asserted before.

I said it is MSVC-specific. Probably, I phrased it inaccurately and
should have added "on Windows", but I didn't think platforms other than
Windows were the main target anyway.

> Point is, vcpkg is moving full speed
> to cmake only, which simply means it works on nix (and possibly osx) as
> well.
>
> A project is in the making which will allow to use clang/llvm as a
> tool-chain (instead of MSVC) as well, but yes, it is in-flight. gcc is
> probably a bridge too far.

Yes, I understand that the direction is to make it more portable. We'll
see how it goes. (Personally, I'm feeling skeptical, though.)

Re: 1.68 Getting Started links to 1.67

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 16:51, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I understand that the direction is to make it more portable. We'll
> see how it goes. (Personally, I'm feeling skeptical, though.)

The thing with windows is, though, once it gets some momentum, much larger
numbers of people are involved (it is an OS-project). But, yes, you are
right, we **will** have to see. Also VS17 adds full support for cmake, and
github (of course, as they [ms] spent 8 billion dollars on the thing). The
8 billion dollars gives a good idea as to what extent ms is committed to
open source. There is also a rumor going round saying that ms bought github
for one reason only, and that is to get it's dirty little hands on this
project: https://github.com/kelseyhightower/nocode .

degski

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:05 AM degski wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 16:51, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I understand that the direction is to make it more portable. We'll
> > see how it goes. (Personally, I'm feeling skeptical, though.)
> >
> [...]
> But, yes, you are right, we **will** have to see. Also VS17 adds full support for cmake, and
> github (of course, as they [ms] spent 8 billion dollars on the thing). The
> 8 billion dollars gives a good idea as to what extent ms is committed to
> open source.

Maybe we can expect the equivalent of the commitment toward voice chat
(Skype at 8 billion dollars), but only less than a third of the
commitment toward corporate social networking (Linkedin at 26 billion
dollars).

Glen