[1.50.0] Beta schedule

123

[1.50.0] Beta schedule

Beman Dawes
C++Now! is history, so it is high time to get the 1.50.0 beta out the door.

Branches/release is now closed for all changes except by permission
from a release manager.

Unless there are strong objections, I suggest we close
branches\release for all changes next Monday, May 28, and ship the
beta release as soon after that as a RC can be built and tested.

I'm about to post a separate message discussing the length of beta periods.

--Beman

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Anthony Williams-4
On 22/05/12 13:46, Beman Dawes wrote:
> C++Now! is history, so it is high time to get the 1.50.0 beta out the door.
>
> Branches/release is now closed for all changes except by permission
> from a release manager.

Please can I merge Boost.Thread from trunk to release, along with the
scoped enum changes?

There are quite a few bug fixes there which I have been meaning to merge
once I'd double-checked everything and ensured the tests passed.

Cheers,

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++11 thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Oliver Kowalke
 C++Now! is history, so it is high time to get the 1.50.0 beta out the

> door.
>
> Branches/release is now closed for all changes except by permission
> from a release manager.
>
> Unless there are strong objections, I suggest we close
> branches\release for all changes next Monday, May 28, and ship the
> beta release as soon after that as a RC can be built and tested.
>
> I'm about to post a separate message discussing the length of beta
> periods.
>
> --Beman

may I add boost.context to 1.50 too?

regards,
Oliver

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Tim Blechmann-2
> C++Now! is history, so it is high time to get the 1.50.0 beta out the door.

mhm ... i was quite surprised to see that no dates for 1.50 have been
posted to the calendar, so i didn't know what state the release branch
is in (well, haven't asked or searched the archive, either) ... iac, i
would have appreciated if a date would have been posted, when the
release branch is closed.

> Branches/release is now closed for all changes except by permission
> from a release manager.

requesting permission to merge some small fixes for boost.heap, that are
in trunk.

if i had known the schedule for 1.50 like two weeks ago, i would have
added boost.lockfree with the restriction of being c++11 only, as at
least recent versions of clang++ and g++ provide a sufficient
implementation of c++11 atomic<> (i start having the feeling that
boost.atomic is going to be obsolete once it will be added) ... but iac,
boost.lockfree will have to wait for 1.51

tim

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Beman Dawes
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Anthony Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 22/05/12 13:46, Beman Dawes wrote:
>> C++Now! is history, so it is high time to get the 1.50.0 beta out the door.
>>
>> Branches/release is now closed for all changes except by permission
>> from a release manager.
>
> Please can I merge Boost.Thread from trunk to release, along with the
> scoped enum changes?

Yes, as long as the trunk tests are stable.

--Beman

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Marshall Clow-2
On May 22, 2012, at 6:12 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Anthony Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 22/05/12 13:46, Beman Dawes wrote:
>>> C++Now! is history, so it is high time to get the 1.50.0 beta out the door.
>>>
>>> Branches/release is now closed for all changes except by permission
>>> from a release manager.
>>
>> Please can I merge Boost.Thread from trunk to release, along with the
>> scoped enum changes?
>
> Yes, as long as the trunk tests are stable.

I, too, have some bug fixes for my libraries that I would like to merge to release:
        Boost.Algorithm (bug fixes and doc fixes)
        Boost.Array (support for Boost.Hash; tests)

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:[hidden email]>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Steven Watanabe-4
AMDG

On 05/22/2012 06:00 AM, Oliver Kowalke wrote:

>  C++Now! is history, so it is high time to get the 1.50.0 beta out the
>> door.
>>
>> Branches/release is now closed for all changes except by permission
>> from a release manager.
>>
>> Unless there are strong objections, I suggest we close
>> branches\release for all changes next Monday, May 28, and ship the
>> beta release as soon after that as a RC can be built and tested.
>>
>> I'm about to post a separate message discussing the length of beta
>> periods.
>>

> may I add boost.context to 1.50 too?

By the time we're talking about a beta,
it's usually much too late for new libraries.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Tim Blechmann-2
>>> I'm about to post a separate message discussing the length of beta
>>> periods.
>>>

>> may I add boost.context to 1.50 too?
>>

> By the time we're talking about a beta,
> it's usually much too late for new libraries.

frankly, one thing is talking about a beta, the other thing is
announcing the beta schedule with the words `release is now closed' ...
this simply gives people no time to plan in advance in order to merge
stuff *before* the beta process starts

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Rene Rivera-2
I'm confused.. How is it that people don't understand that as soon as
a release it out the door.. It's then time to merge libraries from
trunk to release until the "release branch is closed" announcement
goes out. Why is it that people want to wait until right before the
release is close to do the merges?

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Tim Blechmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> may I add boost.context to 1.50 too?
>>>

>> By the time we're talking about a beta,
>> it's usually much too late for new libraries.
>
> frankly, one thing is talking about a beta, the other thing is
> announcing the beta schedule with the words `release is now closed' ...
> this simply gives people no time to plan in advance in order to merge
> stuff *before* the beta process starts

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

John Maddock-3
> I'm confused.. How is it that people don't understand that as soon as
> a release it out the door.. It's then time to merge libraries from
> trunk to release until the "release branch is closed" announcement
> goes out. Why is it that people want to wait until right before the
> release is close to do the merges?

Because it's never the right time to merge - there's always "one more little
thing" to fix, regression tests being waited on etc etc.  If you know when
the release branch is going to close *in advance*, then you can plan which
fixes are likely to make it, and which won't.  On the other hand if there's
no sign of the release branch being closed, the temptation to "keep fiddling
on trunk" is just too strong.  Human nature and all that ;-)

So while I understand the reason for the rush, I too would like to see a
clear schedule published in advance...

Just my 2c yours... John.

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Tim Blechmann-2
> I'm confused.. How is it that people don't understand that as soon as
> a release it out the door.. It's then time to merge libraries from
> trunk to release until the "release branch is closed" announcement
> goes out. Why is it that people want to wait until right before the
> release is close to do the merges?

because people are
* busy with other things like day jobs
* bugs are reported/fixed at any time
* people wait for the tests to cycle before they merge changes into trunk
* merging with svn is a pain and people try to limit the number of times
they have to mess with it (at least this is my reason)
* there is only one `release' branch and not one branch for each
release, so it is not very clear what state the branch is in (unless you
follow this list every day)

fwiw, i'm not a big fan of late merges, either ... in the contrast ...
but for the last releases we always had a wonderful schedule which was
known in advance.

but if you go though the list archives, there were several questions, if
there is a release schedule for 1.50. even a question: "Which is the
last day to merge to release a big change?" ... maybe you should have
written your above advice as answer to that mail? ;)

>>> By the time we're talking about a beta,
>>> it's usually much too late for new libraries.
>>
>> frankly, one thing is talking about a beta, the other thing is
>> announcing the beta schedule with the words `release is now closed' ...
>> this simply gives people no time to plan in advance in order to merge
>> stuff *before* the beta process starts

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Vicente Botet
Le 22/05/12 17:52, Rene Rivera a écrit :
> I'm confused.. How is it that people don't understand that as soon as
> a release it out the door.. It's then time to merge libraries from
> trunk to release until the "release branch is closed" announcement
> goes out. Why is it that people want to wait until right before the
> release is close to do the merges?

Hi,

I don't think people is waiting until the last moment. They have just
things to commit and no calendar has been posted.
I recall you that I requested calendar more than 3 weeks ago.

Best,
Vicente

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Olaf van der Spek-3
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Beman Dawes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> C++Now! is history, so it is high time to get the 1.50.0 beta out the door.
>
> Branches/release is now closed for all changes except by permission
> from a release manager.

Hi Beman,

What's the reason no schedule was posted?
Now the branch gets closed without advance notice.

Olaf

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr.-2
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Beman Dawes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> C++Now! is history, so it is high time to get the 1.50.0 beta out the door.
>
> Branches/release is now closed for all changes except by permission
> from a release manager.

Request to merge

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/78501

which just takes care of a shadowing warning on gcc.

Couple things:
(a) I just went ahead and made this change on trunk a few days ago because
I stumbled into this warning myself, searched track, and saw that it was
already reported and had a patch (indirectly) attached; in retrospect, I
apologize if I stepped on anyone's (Jeremy's?) toes, and so I ask: Is there
a formal or informal protocol for applying relatively simple patches like
this one?
(b) Along the same lines, assuming permission is granted and given (a),
should I be merging this to release, or should that fall to the library
maintainer?

Thanks,

- Jeff

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Beman Dawes
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Oliver Kowalke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> may I add boost.context to 1.50 too?

It is way past the point we usually add new libraries.

And you have some tab cleanup to do:

boost\context\detail\fcontext_arm.hpp: *Tab*
boost\context\detail\fcontext_i386.hpp: *Tab*
boost\context\detail\fcontext_i386_win.hpp: *Tab*
boost\context\detail\fcontext_mips.hpp: *Tab*
boost\context\detail\fcontext_ppc.hpp: *Tab*
boost\context\detail\fcontext_x86_64.hpp: *Tab*
boost\context\detail\fcontext_x86_64_win.hpp: *Tab*
libs\context\example\exit.cpp: *Tab*
libs\context\example\jump.cpp: *Tab*
libs\context\example\transfer.cpp: *Tab*
libs\context\performance\performance.cpp: *Tab*
libs\context\src\fcontext.cpp: *Tab*
libs\context\src\stack_allocator_posix.cpp: *Tab*
libs\context\test\test_context.cpp: *Tab*

Has the Review Manager taken a look at trunk to verify issues
identified during the formal review?

--Beman

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Oliver Kowalke
Am 22.05.2012 21:40, schrieb Beman Dawes:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Oliver Kowalke<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> may I add boost.context to 1.50 too?
> It is way past the point we usually add new libraries.

Hmm - I was waiting for an announcement for the merge window for the
next release
and I didn't found an related entry in the boost calendar.

I did not found an info on boost website which branch has to be used for
merging (I'm guessing it is
branch 'release' in  http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches).
Maybe this is 'implicit' knowledge.

> And you have some tab cleanup to do:
>
> boost\context\detail\fcontext_arm.hpp: *Tab*
> boost\context\detail\fcontext_i386.hpp: *Tab*
> boost\context\detail\fcontext_i386_win.hpp: *Tab*
> boost\context\detail\fcontext_mips.hpp: *Tab*
> boost\context\detail\fcontext_ppc.hpp: *Tab*
> boost\context\detail\fcontext_x86_64.hpp: *Tab*
> boost\context\detail\fcontext_x86_64_win.hpp: *Tab*
> libs\context\example\exit.cpp: *Tab*
> libs\context\example\jump.cpp: *Tab*
> libs\context\example\transfer.cpp: *Tab*
> libs\context\performance\performance.cpp: *Tab*
> libs\context\src\fcontext.cpp: *Tab*
> libs\context\src\stack_allocator_posix.cpp: *Tab*
> libs\context\test\test_context.cpp: *Tab*

done in trunk

> Has the Review Manager taken a look at trunk to verify issues
> identified during the formal review?

only some issued related to the documentation which I think is fixed.

So - does it mean I've no luck to submit the lib?

Oliver

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Steven Watanabe-4
AMDG

On 05/22/2012 12:40 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Oliver Kowalke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> may I add boost.context to 1.50 too?
>
> It is way past the point we usually add new libraries.
>
> And you have some tab cleanup to do:
>
> <snip>
>
> Has the Review Manager taken a look at trunk to verify issues
> identified during the formal review?

It looks like Oliver went ahead
before anyone replied.

> Author: olli
> Date: 2012-05-22 11:16:49 EDT (Tue, 22 May 2012)
> New Revision: 78539
>
> Log:
> context: added to release

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Oliver Kowalke
Am 22.05.2012 22:24, schrieb Steven Watanabe:

>> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Oliver Kowalke<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> may I add boost.context to 1.50 too?
>> It is way past the point we usually add new libraries.
>>
>> And you have some tab cleanup to do:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Has the Review Manager taken a look at trunk to verify issues
>> identified during the formal review?
>>
> It looks like Oliver went ahead
> before anyone replied.

mini-review issued only some hints related to the documentation - I
thought it would be OK.

>> Author: olli
>> Date: 2012-05-22 11:16:49 EDT (Tue, 22 May 2012)
>> New Revision: 78539
>>
>> Log:
>> context: added to release

I already ask Beman to remove it from 'release' :(

Oliver

Re: [1.50.0] Beta schedule

Barend Gehrels
On 22-5-2012 19:02, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> Le 22/05/12 17:52, Rene Rivera a écrit :
>> I'm confused.. How is it that people don't understand that as soon as
>> a release it out the door.. It's then time to merge libraries from
>> trunk to release until the "release branch is closed" announcement
>> goes out. Why is it that people want to wait until right before the
>> release is close to do the merges?
>>
> Hi,
>
> I don't think people is waiting until the last moment. They have just
> things to commit and no calendar has been posted.
> I recall you that I requested calendar more than 3 weeks ago.
>
> Best,
> Vicente

I can only confirm this, and the mails of Tim, John, Olaf. There was no
news in the calendar at all. And it is still completely empty. I
regularly checked the calendar but it was always empty.

There were several requests (at least 5) on the mailing list about the
schedule. All these mails were never answered with a date (besides that
Beman was pinged). So there was no communication, we did not know if
there was one week to go, one month, three months...

As developers we know to need the schedule in advance, to make plans
what to put in, what to finish, what to postpone to next release.

Now, the only real communication was the mail of today.

We need some period to know in advance of the closure. Next monday is
too early, there is only one weekend in between. I suggest a longer
period, at least one weekend more (at least, for us).

In general I would suggest to know the closure date at least 3 weeks
(but preferably much longer, given the fact that we all have a busy live).

Thanks, Barend

[1.50.0] RELEASE BRANCH REOPENED (was: Beta schedule)

Eric Niebler-3
On 5/22/2012 2:53 PM, Barend Gehrels wrote:

> I can only confirm this, and the mails of Tim, John, Olaf. There was no
> news in the calendar at all. And it is still completely empty. I
> regularly checked the calendar but it was always empty.
>
> There were several requests (at least 5) on the mailing list about the
> schedule. All these mails were never answered with a date (besides that
> Beman was pinged). So there was no communication, we did not know if
> there was one week to go, one month, three months...
>
> As developers we know to need the schedule in advance, to make plans
> what to put in, what to finish, what to postpone to next release.
>
> Now, the only real communication was the mail of today.
>
> We need some period to know in advance of the closure. Next monday is
> too early, there is only one weekend in between. I suggest a longer
> period, at least one weekend more (at least, for us).
>
> In general I would suggest to know the closure date at least 3 weeks
> (but preferably much longer, given the fact that we all have a busy live).

The release managers have heard you. We're currently discussing a better
plan. I'm personally very sorry for the poor way this has been managed.
Look for an email from us shortly. I'm taking it upon myself to reopen
the release branch for BUG FIXES ONLY (no new libraries). Please get
your changes in as soon as is convenient and prudent. It should be open
for at least a week. Then we'll require release manager approval. Please
be sure trunk tests are clean before merging anything, as usual.

Thanks for your patience. We were all very busy in the run-up to
BoostCon, and this got away from us. That's not an excuse, just an
explanation.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing