[1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Beman Dawes
Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?

I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855

Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?

--Beman
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Daniel James-3
On 5 July 2011 12:33, Beman Dawes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>
> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>

Sorry, I thought Eric was dealing with it. It looks okay to me. Have
any of the people with the issue checked that the fix works for them?

> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?

Just a link fix:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72907/
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Steven Watanabe-4
In reply to this post by Beman Dawes
AMDG

On 07/05/2011 04:33 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>
> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>
> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
>

I have 2 Random fixes:

http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72825
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72826

Both of these remove interface breaking changes.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost

signature.asc (501 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Beman Dawes
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Steven Watanabe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 07/05/2011 04:33 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>>
>> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>>
>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
>>
>
> I have 2 Random fixes:
>
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72825
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72826
>
> Both of these remove interface breaking changes.

Were these supposed to fix TR1 run_random and run_std_random tests?
They still seem to be failing.

--Beman
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Beman Dawes
In reply to this post by Daniel James-3
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Daniel James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 5 July 2011 12:33, Beman Dawes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>>
>> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>>
>
> Sorry, I thought Eric was dealing with it. It looks okay to me. Have
> any of the people with the issue checked that the fix works for them?

No reply yet to my list posting.

The local_info.cpp program just added to trunk,
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72920/, has been run with
both default (I.E. valid) and deliberately invalid locale settings on
Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, PC-BSD, and Solaris. Results are as
expected. That was one of the missing pieces, and ensures that my
mental model of how valid and invalid locales actually work on various
operating systems is correct, by the way.

>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
>
> Just a link fix:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72907/

OK to merge than one, with my permission.

It would be great if we could finish merges today, so that we can
build the release candidate tomorrow unless some tests fail
unexpectedly.

--Beman
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Steven Watanabe-4
In reply to this post by Beman Dawes
AMDG

On 07/05/2011 07:41 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Steven Watanabe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 07/05/2011 04:33 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>>>
>>> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>>>
>>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
>>>
>>
>> I have 2 Random fixes:
>>
>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72825
>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72826
>>
>> Both of these remove interface breaking changes.
>
> Were these supposed to fix TR1 run_random and run_std_random tests?
> They still seem to be failing.
>
Those tests didn't even compile before.
The failures now are a result of the changes
in the seeding algorithm.  The old seeding
algorithms were bizarre and inconsistent,
so I really don't want to go back.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost

signature.asc (501 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Beman Dawes
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Steven Watanabe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> AMDG
>>>
>>> I have 2 Random fixes:
>>>
>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72825
>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72826
>>>
>>> Both of these remove interface breaking changes.
>>
>> Were these supposed to fix TR1 run_random and run_std_random tests?
>> They still seem to be failing.
>>
>
> Those tests didn't even compile before.
> The failures now are a result of the changes
> in the seeding algorithm.  The old seeding
> algorithms were bizarre and inconsistent,
> so I really don't want to go back.

OK, understood. Please go ahead and merge those changesets.

Is anyone working on changing the TR1 tests to match the seeding?
Should you open a ticket?

--Beman
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

dodheim
In reply to this post by Beman Dawes
Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:
> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>
> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>
> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?

I don't know that it's a 'showstopper' per se, but the issue reported here [1]
is still present in boost-windows-2011-07-04.7z downloaded from boost.cowic.de.

  [1] http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/06/183054.php


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Emil Dotchevski-3
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Adam Merz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:
>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>>
>> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>>
>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
>
> I don't know that it's a 'showstopper' per se, but the issue reported here [1]
> is still present in boost-windows-2011-07-04.7z downloaded from boost.cowic.de.
>
>  [1] http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/06/183054.php
A few days ago I posted a patch file that fixes this problem, someone
needs to apply it to the release branch.

I'm attaching the patch to this post as well.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.
http://www.revergestudios.com/reblog/index.php?n=ReCode

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost

fix.patch (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Eric Niebler-3
On 7/5/2011 12:43 PM, Emil Dotchevski wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Adam Merz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:
>>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>>>
>>> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>>>
>>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
>>
>> I don't know that it's a 'showstopper' per se, but the issue reported here [1]
>> is still present in boost-windows-2011-07-04.7z downloaded from boost.cowic.de.
>>
>>  [1] http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/06/183054.php
>
> A few days ago I posted a patch file that fixes this problem, someone
> needs to apply it to the release branch.

Posted where? Has it been committed to trunk? Are the tests passing?

> I'm attaching the patch to this post as well.

It typically works like this: things are fixed on trunk. When the tests
are passing there, the library maintainer asks a release manager for
permission to merge to release, and they include a URL to the changeset
they would like to merge.

Are you asking for permission to merge? Can you send a URL?

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Vicente Botet
In reply to this post by Beman Dawes
Beman Dawes wrote
Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?

I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855

Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
Hi,

recently Edward found a bug on Boost.Chrono with win/intel compiler:
http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/chrono-Intel-Composer-XE-2011-unable-to-compile-chrono-library-tt3647568.html#a3650214

I have committed https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72938 on trunk a simple patch. Can I commit after verification on trunk?

Best,
Vicente
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Eric Niebler-3
On 7/6/2011 3:57 PM, Vicente Botet wrote:

>
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>>
>> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>>
>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to
>> merge?
>>
>>
> Hi,
>
> recently Edward found a bug on Boost.Chrono with win/intel compiler:
> http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/chrono-Intel-Composer-XE-2011-unable-to-compile-chrono-library-tt3647568.html#a3650214
>
> I have committed https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72938 on trunk a
> simple patch. Can I commit after verification on trunk?

Adding an extra set of superfluous parens makes the compiler happy?
Really? That's whack. <shrug>

Looks totally safe to me, but I don't know if Beman is in the packaging
phase of the release yet. Beman?

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

John Maddock-3
In reply to this post by Vicente Botet
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?

I've just been asked about this one:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5671#comment:4

My gut feeling is to say it's too late, that said, it is a trivial change,

John.

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Neal Becker
In reply to this post by Beman Dawes
Beman Dawes wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Steven Watanabe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> AMDG
>>>>
>>>> I have 2 Random fixes:
>>>>
>>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72825
>>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72826
>>>>
>>>> Both of these remove interface breaking changes.
>>>
>>> Were these supposed to fix TR1 run_random and run_std_random tests?
>>> They still seem to be failing.
>>>
>>
>> Those tests didn't even compile before.
>> The failures now are a result of the changes
>> in the seeding algorithm.  The old seeding
>> algorithms were bizarre and inconsistent,
>> so I really don't want to go back.
>
> OK, understood. Please go ahead and merge those changesets.
>
> Is anyone working on changing the TR1 tests to match the seeding?
> Should you open a ticket?
>

Change to seeding?  Does this mean that random sequences generated with the same
seeds as used pre-1.47 will be different?  Does this mean that all my tests that
used random number generators will now fail to match previous results?  If so,
please say something in release notes.

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Beman Dawes
In reply to this post by Eric Niebler-3
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Eric Niebler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/5/2011 12:43 PM, Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Adam Merz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:
>>>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>>>>
>>>> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>>>>
>>>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
>>>
>>> I don't know that it's a 'showstopper' per se, but the issue reported here [1]
>>> is still present in boost-windows-2011-07-04.7z downloaded from boost.cowic.de.
>>>
>>>  [1] http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/06/183054.php
>>
>> A few days ago I posted a patch file that fixes this problem, someone
>> needs to apply it to the release branch.
>
> Posted where? Has it been committed to trunk? Are the tests passing?
>
>> I'm attaching the patch to this post as well.
>
> It typically works like this: things are fixed on trunk. When the tests
> are passing there, the library maintainer asks a release manager for
> permission to merge to release, and they include a URL to the changeset
> they would like to merge.
>
> Are you asking for permission to merge? Can you send a URL?

There has been no reply to Eric's query above:-(

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem and test the patch.

--Beman
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Beman Dawes
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Beman Dawes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Eric Niebler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 7/5/2011 12:43 PM, Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Adam Merz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
>>>>
>>>> I don't know that it's a 'showstopper' per se, but the issue reported here [1]
>>>> is still present in boost-windows-2011-07-04.7z downloaded from boost.cowic.de.
>>>>
>>>>  [1] http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/06/183054.php
>>>
>>> A few days ago I posted a patch file that fixes this problem, someone
>>> needs to apply it to the release branch.
>>
>> Posted where? Has it been committed to trunk? Are the tests passing?
>>
>>> I'm attaching the patch to this post as well.
>>
>> It typically works like this: things are fixed on trunk. When the tests
>> are passing there, the library maintainer asks a release manager for
>> permission to merge to release, and they include a URL to the changeset
>> they would like to merge.
>>
>> Are you asking for permission to merge? Can you send a URL?
>
> There has been no reply to Eric's query above:-(
>
> I'll see if I can reproduce the problem and test the patch.

I'm not able to reproduce this problem on either the current trunk or
branches/release. Thus I'm unwilling to apply the patch.

I'm building release candidates now. Once those go up on the ftp site,
perhaps the OP could try again. And if it fails, give us the exact
build command line that is failing.

--Beman
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Beman Dawes
In reply to this post by Eric Niebler-3
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Eric Niebler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/6/2011 3:57 PM, Vicente Botet wrote:
>>
>> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>>
>>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>>>
>>> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>>>
>>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to
>>> merge?
>>>
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> recently Edward found a bug on Boost.Chrono with win/intel compiler:
>> http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/chrono-Intel-Composer-XE-2011-unable-to-compile-chrono-library-tt3647568.html#a3650214
>>
>> I have committed https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72938 on trunk a
>> simple patch. Can I commit after verification on trunk?
>
> Adding an extra set of superfluous parens makes the compiler happy?
> Really? That's whack. <shrug>
>
> Looks totally safe to me, but I don't know if Beman is in the packaging
> phase of the release yet. Beman?

I'm build release candidates now.  So unless there is a further delay,
it is just too late for this release.

--Beman
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Emil Dotchevski-3
In reply to this post by Beman Dawes
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Beman Dawes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Eric Niebler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 7/5/2011 12:43 PM, Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Adam Merz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:
>>>>> Any remaining 1.47.0 showstoppers?
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm still waiting for an OK to merge
>>>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/72855
>>>>>
>>>>> Are there any other merges ready to go that still need permission to merge?
>>>>
>>>> I don't know that it's a 'showstopper' per se, but the issue reported here [1]
>>>> is still present in boost-windows-2011-07-04.7z downloaded from boost.cowic.de.
>>>>
>>>>  [1] http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2011/06/183054.php
>>>
>>> A few days ago I posted a patch file that fixes this problem, someone
>>> needs to apply it to the release branch.
>>
>> Posted where? Has it been committed to trunk? Are the tests passing?
>>
>>> I'm attaching the patch to this post as well.
>>
>> It typically works like this: things are fixed on trunk. When the tests
>> are passing there, the library maintainer asks a release manager for
>> permission to merge to release, and they include a URL to the changeset
>> they would like to merge.
>>
>> Are you asking for permission to merge? Can you send a URL?
>
> There has been no reply to Eric's query above:-(

The fix is committed to trunk, I'm waiting for it to get through all
the tests and then I'll ask for permission to merge in the release
branch.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.
http://www.revergestudios.com/reblog/index.php?n=ReCode
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

dodheim
In reply to this post by Beman Dawes
Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> wrote:
> > There has been no reply to Eric's query above
> >
> > I'll see if I can reproduce the problem and test the patch.
>
> I'm not able to reproduce this problem on either the current trunk or
> branches/release. Thus I'm unwilling to apply the patch.
>
> I'm building release candidates now. Once those go up on the ftp site,
> perhaps the OP could try again. And if it fails, give us the exact
> build command line that is failing.

I can confirm that the issue is still present in the boost_1_47_0.7z package
from boost.cowic.de/rc/ timestamped '2011-Jul-07 16:06:52'.

My environment is Win7 x64, MSVC10 SP1. My build command lines are as
follows:

x86 debug:
bjam.exe --without-mpi --without-python --build-type=complete toolset=msvc-10.0
    architecture=x86 address-model=32 extern-c-nothrow=on debug stage

x86 release:
bjam.exe --without-mpi --without-python --build-type=complete toolset=msvc-10.0
    architecture=x86 address-model=32 extern-c-nothrow=on cxxflags="/GS-
/arch:SSE2 /GL" linkflags="/OPT:REF /OPT:ICF /LTCG" release stage

x64 debug:
bjam.exe --without-mpi --without-python --build-type=complete toolset=msvc-10.0
    architecture=x86 address-model=64 extern-c-nothrow=on debug stage

x64 release:
bjam.exe --without-mpi --without-python --build-type=complete toolset=msvc-10.0
    architecture=x86 address-model=64 extern-c-nothrow=on cxxflags="/GS- /GL"
linkflags="/OPT:REF /OPT:ICF /LTCG" release stage

All four variants experience the same issue.

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [1.47.0] Any remaining showstoppers?

Beman Dawes
In reply to this post by Emil Dotchevski-3
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Emil Dotchevski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The fix is committed to trunk, I'm waiting for it to get through all
> the tests and then I'll ask for permission to merge in the release
> branch.

OK, I'll hold the release waiting for that merge.

--Beman
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
12